Skip to main content

Day 9 - If You Could Have Any Job in the World, What Would it Be?

I was thinking and thinking and thinking about this.  I have had a very long career at a job I love.  I don't always love it, but, for the most part - it's been an awesome job and career.  I always tell people that I want to work at an airline, because I want to have the benefit of flying wherever and whenever I wanted - so if I had thought about it years ago - instead of law enforcement, I probably should have found a job in the travel industry - - but, that didn't work.  And, I fully intend one day to have those flight benefits.

But, I am thinking of what I would have loved my career to be.  If I could have chosen the path of my life, I would have chosen to be a stay-at-home mom.  I can't think of a more fulfilling career than to have been more available to my kids and been there more for them.  My kids were raised by a mom who worked away from the home and spent a lot of time away from home.  I worked shift work, so there were days they never even saw me.  I worked holidays, so they were raised having Easter a week earlier or a week later; Thanksgiving a day earlier or a day later; Christmas was always Christmas - but, who knows what time it would have been celebrated or how.  I didn't have a choice financially, because during a lot of time they were growing up, I was the sole bread winner and supported my little brood.

I was never very organized while my kids were growing up - I felt it was much more important to spend time with my kids than to do the dishes, because I may not get to spend the next day with them.  I wanted to be available to help them with their homework and such.  I almost felt, at times, they were rather neglected because I was not always there for them and that if I had been more available and there for them, maybe they would have done better in school, or socially, or life, or everything.  I just didn't always feel I was there for them during their formative years when I should have been, because I was working.

I watch my daughter with her kids - never a more involved and wonderful mom is there.  I envy her that she gets to stay at home and raise her kids and spend time with them while they are so young and learning so much - it's an awesome, awesome thing.  She and her husband sacrifice so much for her to be there with the kids - and I can't imagine a more worthy cause to sacrifice for.

Comments

  1. Oh my hell woman. I am bawling! I love you! And you were a fantastic mom, I am always trying to live up to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are making me cry. And I agree 100% with Crystal. You were and are a FANTASTIC mom. You were the one to stay with me in the hospital and take care of me when I was sick.And now you are a FANTASTIC grandma. I love you and appreciate everything you have done and do for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a great mom, you know people ask me why I'm such a nice or a good guy and the answer will always be, " because that's how my mamma raised me!"

      Delete
    2. Raja got 3 <3 s K-Lynn and I each only got 2. Favoriter.

      Delete
    3. <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Me!!

I turned 49 a year ago tomorrow.  I was all right with that.  I didn't really care.  But, about a couple of months after that, I realized that in less than a year I would be 50.  When my daughter turned 30, it really was a horrible feeling.  How could I have a 30-year-old daughter??  I am not old enough to have a 30-year-old daughter.  I also had to deal with my baby boy getting married last year - which made me feel like I really was getting older. I think it was after Crystal's birthday that I devised a plan.  I was going to take a couple of days off, I was going to get a hotel room - a hotel with a pool - and I was just going to hide out and ride it out.  I had it all figured out. Well, I decided that my kids might be a bit upset with me that I did this.  So, I went back to Plan B - I would do my usual and plan a "kids" birthday for me so that the entire family, including Zach and Chelsea, could have a good time.  I thought of going to Planet Play and setti

The Haunting

It's been a weird few days. I don't know what set me off. But, I've been thinking about Ted a lot. Mostly, I've been thinking about the night he died. And everything that happened that night. One of the girls I worked with lost her husband suddenly a couple of days ago. I'm not sure if that's what set me off - no, I'm pretty sure it is. So I've been going through old blog posts about our trips together. Looking at memories of our times together. We just had fun together and we just loved each other. Anyway, I've been reliving the night he died. Thinking about it pretty consistently. And the things that happened are truly haunting me. Like, how did he get where he was?? He and I had been sitting together and had literally just had an interaction. The interaction was, please sit back, you're blocking my view of the movie. And it was all done in hand gestures. But it was just so Ted. Completely and totally so Ted. Not even a few

365 Days - The Story of a Year

This last year has been the hardest one of my life. And I've had a lot of hard years in my lifetime. But this year involved the health of me and I'm being a little selfish about thinking about just me. But it was hard. But, I survived it. And now I'm learning to THRIVE. A little history. For the last four years, I have been dealing with knee pain. Most of it was in my right knee. For the first couple of years, I would get a cortisone shot and I was good. Usually last for at least a year. Then the cortisone wasn't working anymore. I had the rooster comb injections. They didn't work. So, after that, my doctor told me that I was bone on bone and needed a knee replacement. But for that four years, she kept saying - you're too fat, no surgeon will touch you at your weight. You have got to lose weight. That is always easier said than done. She always made me feel like I was failing at taking care of myself. For the last two years, I have been worki