Skip to main content

Day 1 - Your Current Relationship

My current relationship??  With???  My kids??  My mom??  My boss?? My BFF??  They are all good.  Oh, do you mean with my husband??  OH!!!
Ellis Island - the building where I said YES.

What do you say about a relationship with the biggest dork you have ever met??  It's astonishingly good, actually.

When George died twelve years ago, I vowed I wouldn't get married again.  And, to be honest, if I was single right now I would be fine with that (by that I mean, having never met the dork).  I actually loved being single.  I didn't even really date for five years - and I wasn't sad about that, either.  People kept telling me I had to get out and date again.  I really didn't care if I did.  I had a very full life.  Then a person from my past came back into my life.  That relationship was extremely wrong from the very beginning - everything about it was wrong... I knew it was and I didn't know how to break  from it and was not sad when it finally was done.  Before that relationship was over, though, I had met Ted - and slowly, but, surely and after the other relationship was done, I was fully invested in a relationship with Ted.   Before I knew it and in the middle of Ellis Island's Immigration Center, he asked me to
Saying "I DO"
marry him.  AND, I said yes.  It was a very heartfelt and sweet proposal, the two of us in the middle of this huge building, pretty much all alone and him telling me that he wanted to spend the rest of his life with me.

The Wet Rat Pancho Club - Pearl Harbor Hawaii
At Twin Falls.
Jeepin' in the Yukon
Let me tell you about when I knew that I had found a winner.  A great guy.  We became very involved with each other in the month of December 2005.  Ted had asked me to go to his Christmas pot luck banquet with him at the Civil Air Patrol wing building.  He had been volunteering there since the terrorist attacks of 2001.  He had become involved in the Communications Division there.  This was quite a large event, there were probably fifty people there.  They were all very glad to see him - they all greeted him and he listened to each and every one of them when they talked to him.  The thing I really thought was great was when the commander came up to him, grabbed him by the hand in a manly shake, and thanked him for everything he did for the wing.  I thought, wow, this guy is a pretty good guy.  Since December 2005 - we have been pretty much inseparable.  In fact, he was invited to dinner on Christmas Eve to meet my family - and he has been part of it ever since.  Which is pretty good, because I really wasn't much interested in dating him after the very first date - Elaine made me go out with him again.
Lovin Paris

Ted and I love to go places together - - we've been lots and lots of places together.  New York City, Alaskan Cruise, Disneyland, Disney World, Hawaii, Alabama, Paris, along with many trips to Idaho Falls and Grand Junction.  We are perfect travel companions - and will test it again in a couple of weeks when we head to Cancun to run on the beach.  If I had to lose my happy single life - I can't imagine sharing it with anyone that didn't want to go see the world with me and having fun while we did it.



We don't always get along and he puts up with a lot of crap from me.  He is extremely patient with a cranky, menopausal old woman.  We had both lost a significant amount of weight before meeting each other - and we both have gained it all back - lost some - gained some - lost some - gained some.  Vicious cycle.  In fact, I was going through some stuff in the basement and found an amazing disc - it was a disc with pictures of Zachary when he was born.  There was this picture of me - so much skinnier - and I got a little sad.  I said, "Ted, that is the woman you fell in love with".  Then I came across a picture of me, it's just me looking at this beautiful baby with a look of love, adoration and awe at this sweet baby and Ted says, "Nope, that's the woman I fell in love with".  How could you not love a guy who says the sweetest things?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Me!!

I turned 49 a year ago tomorrow.  I was all right with that.  I didn't really care.  But, about a couple of months after that, I realized that in less than a year I would be 50.  When my daughter turned 30, it really was a horrible feeling.  How could I have a 30-year-old daughter??  I am not old enough to have a 30-year-old daughter.  I also had to deal with my baby boy getting married last year - which made me feel like I really was getting older. I think it was after Crystal's birthday that I devised a plan.  I was going to take a couple of days off, I was going to get a hotel room - a hotel with a pool - and I was just going to hide out and ride it out.  I had it all figured out. Well, I decided that my kids might be a bit upset with me that I did this.  So, I went back to Plan B - I would do my usual and plan a "kids" birthday for me so that the entire family, including Zach and Chelsea, could have a good time.  I thought of going to Planet Play and setti

The Haunting

It's been a weird few days. I don't know what set me off. But, I've been thinking about Ted a lot. Mostly, I've been thinking about the night he died. And everything that happened that night. One of the girls I worked with lost her husband suddenly a couple of days ago. I'm not sure if that's what set me off - no, I'm pretty sure it is. So I've been going through old blog posts about our trips together. Looking at memories of our times together. We just had fun together and we just loved each other. Anyway, I've been reliving the night he died. Thinking about it pretty consistently. And the things that happened are truly haunting me. Like, how did he get where he was?? He and I had been sitting together and had literally just had an interaction. The interaction was, please sit back, you're blocking my view of the movie. And it was all done in hand gestures. But it was just so Ted. Completely and totally so Ted. Not even a few

First Date - - End of an Era!

It's no secret that Ted and I met on the internet. We jibbered and jabbered via Match.Com a few times and then he sent me his phone number. We won't go into details about what made me give him a call, other than I was in need of a boost. I gave him a call and he was "busy" for a bit working on his carbuerator (yes, I was shunned aside for a carbuerator) and he asked if he could call me back later. Well, he did call me later that night and we made arrangements to meet at Denny's on 3500 South and 2200 West the next afternoon. No, it wasn't a four-star restaurant, but it was a way for either of us to run or make excuses if things were not going well. We sat there for a few hours; I drank Diet Coke and Ted drank Iced Tea. We talked, mostly Ted talked, about stuff I had absolutely no clue about; I tease him a lot about everything he says pretty much floats above my head, because I have no idea what he is talking about. That was October 10, 2004. After a w