Skip to main content

Day 20 - How Important You Think Education Is

OK - by far, this is the dumbest, stupidest, insane, crazy topic of all.  So, what are you supposed to say - Education isn't important.  Nobody needs to know how to read or write - we can get by in life without it.  I don't even really know how to respond to this stupid subject.

I will tell you about me - I went to high school in the furthest west school you can go in the Salt Lake Valley - I went to Cyprus High School.  The school opened in 1918.  It was one of the very first high schools in the county and is still here today - though it was rebuilt after I left it and it probably was before I attended.  At the time, it was about the only school that had an ice rink in it and it was kind of awesome.  I was on the Pep Club for two years, I was not a serious student my sophomore year, but became much more serious about halfway into my junior year.  So serious, I was named the Sterling Scholar for business (woop woop).

It was my full intention to attend Utah State University in Logan.  I wanted to become a business education teacher - and teach where my strength was.  That was until I started a French class that I adored!!  My plan was to become a business major with a French minor and go and live in Paris at the embassy.  I don't know if that was a feasible plan, but, it was my own dream.  My best friend, Rayna, was supposed to go with me.  We went on a tour of the dorms and everything - it was a crazy over night trip that we took, just the two of us very naive girls.  But, life got in the way - Rayna found a guy and wanted to get married and I was too chicken to go by myself.  It's a good thing I had kids that weren't as chicken as me!!  KayeLynn headed down to St. George all by her lonesome and Rodger headed to Rock Springs, Wyoming on his own - good thing their stupidity and fear didn't keep them from their dreams.

Instead, during the summer after high school, I met a boy and we got engaged.  Though I had reservations from the beginning - I ended up pregnant and married.  I had a job as a secretary for Travelers Insurance.  After Crystal was born - and when she was just a little tyke - I had to find a new job.  I had quit my job at Travelers with the intention of being a stay-at-home mom, but, that was impossible if I wanted to support her.  I found the opportunity at the Police Department and started in the Records Division.  The rest is history - I celebrate my 30th anniversary there in a month from Wednesday.

Do I wish I had gone to college - HELL YES!!  But, I wouldn't do it if it would change the history of what I have now for anything.  I find education very important - and I am glad my kids have found a way to get an education and follow dreams - one way or the other.  I look to my grandkids now and hope they are able to follow their dreams as well - each of them are so smart and have loves beyond anything I could imagine.  As an example, Zachary's love of animals is such an all-consuming love.  For a seven-year-old boy to want to collect money for an animal charity is so amazing - and I hope that if it is his desire to work with animals that he does everything he can to be that amazing guy; veterinarian, marine biologist; K9 cop - whatever his dream is I hope he goes for it full on - and as for the rest of them, I hope they do, too!!

Comments

  1. If I could, I'd be a professional student. While I held the record for sluffing in high school (yet never got below a 3.5!), I absolutely LOVE college. Freal.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Me!!

I turned 49 a year ago tomorrow.  I was all right with that.  I didn't really care.  But, about a couple of months after that, I realized that in less than a year I would be 50.  When my daughter turned 30, it really was a horrible feeling.  How could I have a 30-year-old daughter??  I am not old enough to have a 30-year-old daughter.  I also had to deal with my baby boy getting married last year - which made me feel like I really was getting older. I think it was after Crystal's birthday that I devised a plan.  I was going to take a couple of days off, I was going to get a hotel room - a hotel with a pool - and I was just going to hide out and ride it out.  I had it all figured out. Well, I decided that my kids might be a bit upset with me that I did this.  So, I went back to Plan B - I would do my usual and plan a "kids" birthday for me so that the entire family, including Zach and Chelsea, could have a good time.  I thought of going to Planet Play and setti

The Haunting

It's been a weird few days. I don't know what set me off. But, I've been thinking about Ted a lot. Mostly, I've been thinking about the night he died. And everything that happened that night. One of the girls I worked with lost her husband suddenly a couple of days ago. I'm not sure if that's what set me off - no, I'm pretty sure it is. So I've been going through old blog posts about our trips together. Looking at memories of our times together. We just had fun together and we just loved each other. Anyway, I've been reliving the night he died. Thinking about it pretty consistently. And the things that happened are truly haunting me. Like, how did he get where he was?? He and I had been sitting together and had literally just had an interaction. The interaction was, please sit back, you're blocking my view of the movie. And it was all done in hand gestures. But it was just so Ted. Completely and totally so Ted. Not even a few

First Date - - End of an Era!

It's no secret that Ted and I met on the internet. We jibbered and jabbered via Match.Com a few times and then he sent me his phone number. We won't go into details about what made me give him a call, other than I was in need of a boost. I gave him a call and he was "busy" for a bit working on his carbuerator (yes, I was shunned aside for a carbuerator) and he asked if he could call me back later. Well, he did call me later that night and we made arrangements to meet at Denny's on 3500 South and 2200 West the next afternoon. No, it wasn't a four-star restaurant, but it was a way for either of us to run or make excuses if things were not going well. We sat there for a few hours; I drank Diet Coke and Ted drank Iced Tea. We talked, mostly Ted talked, about stuff I had absolutely no clue about; I tease him a lot about everything he says pretty much floats above my head, because I have no idea what he is talking about. That was October 10, 2004. After a w