Skip to main content

Day 20 - How Important You Think Education Is

OK - by far, this is the dumbest, stupidest, insane, crazy topic of all.  So, what are you supposed to say - Education isn't important.  Nobody needs to know how to read or write - we can get by in life without it.  I don't even really know how to respond to this stupid subject.

I will tell you about me - I went to high school in the furthest west school you can go in the Salt Lake Valley - I went to Cyprus High School.  The school opened in 1918.  It was one of the very first high schools in the county and is still here today - though it was rebuilt after I left it and it probably was before I attended.  At the time, it was about the only school that had an ice rink in it and it was kind of awesome.  I was on the Pep Club for two years, I was not a serious student my sophomore year, but became much more serious about halfway into my junior year.  So serious, I was named the Sterling Scholar for business (woop woop).

It was my full intention to attend Utah State University in Logan.  I wanted to become a business education teacher - and teach where my strength was.  That was until I started a French class that I adored!!  My plan was to become a business major with a French minor and go and live in Paris at the embassy.  I don't know if that was a feasible plan, but, it was my own dream.  My best friend, Rayna, was supposed to go with me.  We went on a tour of the dorms and everything - it was a crazy over night trip that we took, just the two of us very naive girls.  But, life got in the way - Rayna found a guy and wanted to get married and I was too chicken to go by myself.  It's a good thing I had kids that weren't as chicken as me!!  KayeLynn headed down to St. George all by her lonesome and Rodger headed to Rock Springs, Wyoming on his own - good thing their stupidity and fear didn't keep them from their dreams.

Instead, during the summer after high school, I met a boy and we got engaged.  Though I had reservations from the beginning - I ended up pregnant and married.  I had a job as a secretary for Travelers Insurance.  After Crystal was born - and when she was just a little tyke - I had to find a new job.  I had quit my job at Travelers with the intention of being a stay-at-home mom, but, that was impossible if I wanted to support her.  I found the opportunity at the Police Department and started in the Records Division.  The rest is history - I celebrate my 30th anniversary there in a month from Wednesday.

Do I wish I had gone to college - HELL YES!!  But, I wouldn't do it if it would change the history of what I have now for anything.  I find education very important - and I am glad my kids have found a way to get an education and follow dreams - one way or the other.  I look to my grandkids now and hope they are able to follow their dreams as well - each of them are so smart and have loves beyond anything I could imagine.  As an example, Zachary's love of animals is such an all-consuming love.  For a seven-year-old boy to want to collect money for an animal charity is so amazing - and I hope that if it is his desire to work with animals that he does everything he can to be that amazing guy; veterinarian, marine biologist; K9 cop - whatever his dream is I hope he goes for it full on - and as for the rest of them, I hope they do, too!!

Comments

  1. If I could, I'd be a professional student. While I held the record for sluffing in high school (yet never got below a 3.5!), I absolutely LOVE college. Freal.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

CoCo's Journey - Ah, Shit!!!

I am exhausted.  Physically.  Mentally.  Is there anything else??  Because I'm sure that is exhausted, too. I went to the doctor today.  I knew it was going to be a lot of information.  I had made a list.  I had my notebook.  I printed out all of the information from my emergency room visit on Saturday to take with me.  Blood tests.  CT Scan.  Urine test.  Plus, I brought my CT scan from March, because I noticed on it that I have a small umbilical hernia.  I was ready.  And I knew what I needed to fight for. I also came armed with gifts.  I love this doctor and his medical assistant so much.  I took them a gift of tortilla chips and homemade salsa.  And I wrote a love note on the bag.  That is how much I appreciate him.  They both loved it.  It even made Hayley get a little weepy, cuz she was having a bad day. I gave him all of my documents, and he went through the blood tests and such fr...

CoCo's Journey - Pre-surgery thoughts

I've been hanging out in my house for the most part.  Hiding from germs.  Hiding from phlegm.  Hiding from coughs.  Hiding from sneezes.  Hiding from snot. Trying to stay healthy until surgery day.  Not that I can hide very well.  Roommate daughter is literally coughing a lung up.  So, she can only hang out with me if she is wearing a mask.  I am bathing in hand sanitizer when I remember.  I'm taking elderberry gummies with a bunch of zinc and vitamin C in order to boost my immunities.   Poor Roommate. Not that I would know much if I did have a cold.  My nose has been running constantly since the day Jeff was pushed up my nostril.  I have a constant sore throat, due to the tube rubbing in the back of my throat.  The worst part is when I'm laying down and roll onto my left side.  It starts to move around and I feel like I'm choking.  It doesn't do it every time, but most of the time.  And I don...

CoCo's Journey - Sleeping with Jeff AND Camilla

  Well, the day has come and gone.  I got my new and fancy attachment coming out of my face.  It was a horrible experience.  I thought I was going to go absolutely insane and take out the people putting it in me.  But, let's talk about it real quick. I got an NJ tube.  I thought I was going to be getting an NG tube.  What is an NJ tube?  It's a tube for feeding that is placed through the nose and snaked down past the stomach and into the jejunal.  The jejunal is in the small intestine.  The nasojejunal tube is more complex and has a few more risks than the nasogastric tube.  But, apparently, it's the best choice for me.   So let's talk about the actual procedure.  I knew from the beginning, when they squirted lidocaine in my two nostrils to kind of deaden it that it was going to be COMPLETELY horrible!!!  And then needed me to sniff it down to kind of deaden my throat, to make the tube a little more comfortable g...