Skip to main content

MMMM Crepes

In my first year of high school, I was not the best of students.  I met a boy and would skip school and engage in inappropriate behavior (nope, no details).  My friends and I would take off.  In fact, my very last term my sophomore year, I ended up flunking two classes.  My parents never saw that report card - that boy that I had become so very close to had joined the army - I mailed that report card to him and asked him to destroy it.  Had my dad seen that report card, I probably would have been strung up, flogged, caned or any other terrible tortures.  Funny thing, my mom and dad never did ask where that report card was.
Trocadero Gardens across the Seine from the Eiffel Tower
I got a little more serious in my junior year.  Started making a plan for my future.  I became very interested in business education classes and put all my extra energies there.  I was a fast typist, loved doing 10-key, took business law, was great at shorthand and any other business classes that I could sign up for.  I became active in FBLA and competed in district and regional competitions.  I actually won some awards.  In my senior year, I was selected as my schools Sterling Scholar for business education.

Notre Dame
Also in my senior year, I took a French class.  Oh, how I wish I had taken it all throughout high school.  I absolutely loved French.  I had planned on going to Utah State University and continuing my business education.  Because I loved French so much, I decided I wanted to minor in French.  My grown up plan in high school was to graduate from college, go to Paris and work in the American Embassy there.  It was my dream.

Well, obviously, I never made it to France to work in the embassy.  I ended up getting pregnant, getting married.  I never went to college - except a semester at the "technical college".  I had babies, I raised kids, I worked to support a family, struggled to pay bills and just did what I could to make my family survive.  Do I have regrets, sure - but not my kids, never my kids - they are my life.

The Seine
Obviously, when I won my trip to Paris and Bordeaux, France, it was such a dream come true.  I used a little bit of that high school French and ate food, lots of glorious and delicious food.  I saw sights I had only dreamed about.  One of my very favorite things in France was crepes and gauffres; but, especially crepes - filled with chocolate (or nutella) and bananas.  So freaking delicious.  It's been almost two years and I just keep thinking about those crepes. So, I bought some nutella about month ago and told myself I would make crepes.  So today, this Sunday morning, I found a recipe for crepes and made them for myself.  They were so delicious!!  Maybe not France delicious, but yummy just the same.  I don't know that Ted enjoyed them as much as I did - but, it brought back a lot of happy memories of walking through Trocadero Gardens, along the Seine, up the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame.
An actual French Crepe - with chocolate and banana
I will probably never make it back again, but, this morning I had a rush of memories from high school to France.  I think I may have to go there again - and soon.  If you're curious, here is the recipe:

CREPES

1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
2 eggs

(whisk together)

add 1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup flour

(whisk into the liquid - and I also added about 1/4 cup Splenda and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla)

2 tablespoons melted butter

Melt a small pat of butter into a griddle or frying pan.  Take 1/4 cup of the batter and pour onto the hot pan.  Tilt the pan into a circular motion to coat the surface evenly.  Cook approximately 2 minutes on the on side and then flip to cook the other side.   

I spread nutella and sliced banana onto the crepe.  Ted also had strawberry jelly and banana on his.  You could do butter and powdered sugar or you could even fill it with eggs and avocado and top with salsa.  So very versatile!!

I guess it's time to get back to life and decorate for Christmas.

Comments

  1. My little Ireland can already count to 5 in French as well as english and it is so cute to listen to. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so adorable. What a smart little cookie girl!!! Mais, Oui!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm crepes is right. I wish I was sophisticated to know french I could talke like an old foreign film. For know all i can say is bonjour and french fry. ;-)...emily

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Me!!

I turned 49 a year ago tomorrow.  I was all right with that.  I didn't really care.  But, about a couple of months after that, I realized that in less than a year I would be 50.  When my daughter turned 30, it really was a horrible feeling.  How could I have a 30-year-old daughter??  I am not old enough to have a 30-year-old daughter.  I also had to deal with my baby boy getting married last year - which made me feel like I really was getting older. I think it was after Crystal's birthday that I devised a plan.  I was going to take a couple of days off, I was going to get a hotel room - a hotel with a pool - and I was just going to hide out and ride it out.  I had it all figured out. Well, I decided that my kids might be a bit upset with me that I did this.  So, I went back to Plan B - I would do my usual and plan a "kids" birthday for me so that the entire family, including Zach and Chelsea, could have a good time.  I thought of going to Planet Play and setti

The Haunting

It's been a weird few days. I don't know what set me off. But, I've been thinking about Ted a lot. Mostly, I've been thinking about the night he died. And everything that happened that night. One of the girls I worked with lost her husband suddenly a couple of days ago. I'm not sure if that's what set me off - no, I'm pretty sure it is. So I've been going through old blog posts about our trips together. Looking at memories of our times together. We just had fun together and we just loved each other. Anyway, I've been reliving the night he died. Thinking about it pretty consistently. And the things that happened are truly haunting me. Like, how did he get where he was?? He and I had been sitting together and had literally just had an interaction. The interaction was, please sit back, you're blocking my view of the movie. And it was all done in hand gestures. But it was just so Ted. Completely and totally so Ted. Not even a few

First Date - - End of an Era!

It's no secret that Ted and I met on the internet. We jibbered and jabbered via Match.Com a few times and then he sent me his phone number. We won't go into details about what made me give him a call, other than I was in need of a boost. I gave him a call and he was "busy" for a bit working on his carbuerator (yes, I was shunned aside for a carbuerator) and he asked if he could call me back later. Well, he did call me later that night and we made arrangements to meet at Denny's on 3500 South and 2200 West the next afternoon. No, it wasn't a four-star restaurant, but it was a way for either of us to run or make excuses if things were not going well. We sat there for a few hours; I drank Diet Coke and Ted drank Iced Tea. We talked, mostly Ted talked, about stuff I had absolutely no clue about; I tease him a lot about everything he says pretty much floats above my head, because I have no idea what he is talking about. That was October 10, 2004. After a w