Skip to main content

James Rodger

Yep - it's the boys turn.

Now, after dealing with all girls for the first part of motherhood, I ended up getting this boy. Now, I can tell you, that I love my kids, but there really is a different bond between a boy and his mom. Whereas, I got very excited about my daughter getting married, I had a panic attack when my son announced. I guess that is all tied to the old saying "a daughter is a daughter all her life, a boy is a son til he takes a wife". Yep, I was losing my boy - I was just sure of it. But, that's not the story I want to tell.

I'm going to tell you about a trip we took. A trip to Cody, Wyoming. I think Rodger was 14 or 15 years old. Crystal was working for SkyWest and I decided I wanted us to go on an adventure. We got passes and benefits on Skywest planes and so we took a small 30-seater plane to Cody, Wyoming. It was actually outside of Cody that we were staying. We stayed at a guest ranch called Elephant Head Lodge - named after some rock right there. This guest lodge was right on the east entrance of Yellowstone, but because of the crazy fires going on there, we couldn't enter - so we just hung out in the area of the
lodge and Cody. We stayed in cabins; our first night in a small cabin that had two beds and a black widow sleeping in the lamp next to my head. The second and third night, we stayed in this cool larger cabin with two beds and a loft with another bed. Raja (as he is called by his family)stayed up there in the loft. There were no TV's in these cabins and it was quite the fun excursion I have to say. The first day there, we went horseback riding. That was rather awesome - this was only my kids second time on a horse and the first time, the horses just followed each other. This time, the horses were a little more independent. Plus, we went high in the mountains and such.

The second day, we went on a river trip (sadly, Crystal was sick and had to miss it). OK - this was pretty dang awesome!! We traveled down this river and over some small rapids - it was lots of fun. At the end of the journey, when we were getting out of our rafts, Raja found this adorable baby frog. All the smaller kids were wanting to touch it, but, he was rather protective and held it the fifty miles back to our cabin. When we got back to the lodge area, and Raja wanted to let his frog go in the small amount of water that was there. So he let his little frog go. We went to dinner at another lodge and on our way back, Raja wanted to see if he could find his little frog in the pond and said that he would just walk back to the cabin. No problem - let him out. So, I start driving my little rental car away and something or someone made me slow down for some reason. Just as I am speeding up, I look in my rear view mirror and I see my son, my little baby boy, RUNNING FULL BORE towards the car and he is white as a sheet!! I slam on the brakes and start trying to figure out what the problem is - by this time, he's at the door and trying to open it. I look to the left and there is a HUGE grizzly bear about fifty feet away just standing on the grass. I start yelling to open the door and KayeLynn is asking what the problem is. Crystal starts chanting, "just open the door, just open the door" over and over again. When the door opens, he just vaults himself over and onto KayeLynn and we drive away to the cabin.

That freaking bear hung around for about two more hours while everyone staying at the lodge sat and watched him. It was pretty dang cool to sit and watch this grizzly bear!! These two stupid bikers were trying to scare him away - the bear was bored with them.

We ended our adventure by going to the Wild Bill Museum and then getting bumped from about five flights. We did manage to make it home that evening, so all was good.

That is my James Rodger story. From that day on, his nickname has been Grizzly Jim - true and gentle mountain man!!

Comments

  1. You are wrong. KayeLynn never opened the door for him. He ended up sitting on my lap because she wouldn't let him in unless someone told her what was going on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny - - all I remember is him vaulting into the car while you and I were yelling!! HAHA!! too funny!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Me!!

I turned 49 a year ago tomorrow.  I was all right with that.  I didn't really care.  But, about a couple of months after that, I realized that in less than a year I would be 50.  When my daughter turned 30, it really was a horrible feeling.  How could I have a 30-year-old daughter??  I am not old enough to have a 30-year-old daughter.  I also had to deal with my baby boy getting married last year - which made me feel like I really was getting older. I think it was after Crystal's birthday that I devised a plan.  I was going to take a couple of days off, I was going to get a hotel room - a hotel with a pool - and I was just going to hide out and ride it out.  I had it all figured out. Well, I decided that my kids might be a bit upset with me that I did this.  So, I went back to Plan B - I would do my usual and plan a "kids" birthday for me so that the entire family, including Zach and Chelsea, could have a good time.  I thought of going to Planet Play and setti

The Haunting

It's been a weird few days. I don't know what set me off. But, I've been thinking about Ted a lot. Mostly, I've been thinking about the night he died. And everything that happened that night. One of the girls I worked with lost her husband suddenly a couple of days ago. I'm not sure if that's what set me off - no, I'm pretty sure it is. So I've been going through old blog posts about our trips together. Looking at memories of our times together. We just had fun together and we just loved each other. Anyway, I've been reliving the night he died. Thinking about it pretty consistently. And the things that happened are truly haunting me. Like, how did he get where he was?? He and I had been sitting together and had literally just had an interaction. The interaction was, please sit back, you're blocking my view of the movie. And it was all done in hand gestures. But it was just so Ted. Completely and totally so Ted. Not even a few

First Date - - End of an Era!

It's no secret that Ted and I met on the internet. We jibbered and jabbered via Match.Com a few times and then he sent me his phone number. We won't go into details about what made me give him a call, other than I was in need of a boost. I gave him a call and he was "busy" for a bit working on his carbuerator (yes, I was shunned aside for a carbuerator) and he asked if he could call me back later. Well, he did call me later that night and we made arrangements to meet at Denny's on 3500 South and 2200 West the next afternoon. No, it wasn't a four-star restaurant, but it was a way for either of us to run or make excuses if things were not going well. We sat there for a few hours; I drank Diet Coke and Ted drank Iced Tea. We talked, mostly Ted talked, about stuff I had absolutely no clue about; I tease him a lot about everything he says pretty much floats above my head, because I have no idea what he is talking about. That was October 10, 2004. After a w