Skip to main content

Bordeaux - day cinq - last day :-(

Again, we slept in today. It's been kind of nice to stay up late and sleep in.

We really didn't know where anything was, so we went on an adventure looking for breakfast. We found a little cafe called Paul (yep, odd name). Ted got a sandwich and I got a gauffre. The one thing about Bordeaux, people don't speak English here like they do in Paris. So, I have to butcher the language a bit to find a way to communicate. I started asking for strawberry, then apricot, then just went for sucre (sugar). We sat at the little cafe and ate.






We then decided to walk. We walked a ways and found a citadel. It was beautiful. It had these large identical statues on either side with four or five sea horses, being driven by two women and a mustached man. They were running down three people, one had a mask. We are sure the people being run down had some type of significance, since one had a mask that he was holding. At the top, some forty feet up, a woman in a long flowing gown is holding a piece of chain in each hand. The broken chain signifies freedom or the breaking of chains.





We spent some time there and then found a bridge to the river. Now, I have a very deep fear of bridges and especially wooden bridges. This bridge went up over the road, then went back up and over the water, where it stopped. I made myself go over it and was all right until I looked between the planks and could see below - then I had some panic. It was quite lovely to sit at the top of this bridge and look over the Garonne River.

We continued walking back towards the hotel and found a place that we believe was a palace. We went back to the hotel and rested for a few minutes. Then, back out to walk some more!!!

We decided to take the tram (it's like a TRAX train, an above ground train that connects different parts of the city - they have three different lines that all start at the train station). But, first, we decided to stop and have another small bite to eat - today I vowed to stick to pasteries and sweet stuff - since I'm leaving tomorrow!!! Ted had a baguette and I had an croissant abricot (apricot croissant). HEAVENLY!! We took the train two stops and saw a beautiful church. We got off and went to explore.






It was St. Andre's Cathedral. What a beautiful place. The cathedral was started in teh 1200's and took almost 400 years to complete. There are parts of the stone that are black, like they had been touched by fire and smoke. Inside was absolutely beautiful. I watched lovingly as Ted dipped his fingers into the holy water and did the sign of the cross to pay respectful hommage. There are about three different holy men entombed inside the church. It's a rather beautiful thing to think they are spending their eternity in such a beautiful place.

We then started to walk back towards our hotel and went in search of the Bordeaux Notre Dame cathedral. On our way, we stopped and got a lemon tart, chocolat chaud (hot chocolate) and Ted got a Coca Cola Light. We also stopped at a toy store, I was hoping to find a French coloring book for my grandbabies.




We found the other cathedral. It was not nearly as beautiful as the other cathedrals we had experienced, but still quite lovely. We spent a few moments in there to look at the stained glass. With this cathedral, as with the others, I had to just spend time touching the stone walls, knowing they had been placed there so lovingly hundreds of years before. What an amazing feeling.

We headed back to the hotel to rest up a bit. We decided it was time for dinner and more walking. We headed back to the cafe by our hotel. I had a jambon et fromage (ham and cheese) panini (I ate 2/3 of it) and a berry tarte. Ted had a poullet et fromage (chicken and cheese) panini and a chocolat banana tarte. Ted also got a bagguette for later. We then walked again, just wandering here and there. We did end back up at the citadel again and hung out there for a bit.



I have to say, I've had so much fun trying to speak a little bit of French. I don't remember too much from when I was in high school (a looooong time ago), but I remember enough to hang out. Since most of the people here do not speak English, I've had to resort to sign language, but we usually get the point across. This has been a grand adventure all the way around. I've loved my time in Paris and Bordeaux. There was so much more I wanted to see - but, I've done as much as I possibly could with the little bit of time I've had. I have decided that if I ever win the lottery, this is one place I'm taking my entire family for a trip - on a European adventure!!!

Our wake up call is at 4:30 tomorrow morning - no more time to play, it's going to be a long journey home.

Comments

  1. Sounds like u did a LOT on your last day. And it just sounds so beautiful. (and so does that lemon tart u had)
    I'm glad u shared your adventure with us & hopefully I will get to see some pictures when u get back.

    Hopefully that ash won't delay your flight.
    Travel safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will now commence wafting in your post vacation aire.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Me!!

I turned 49 a year ago tomorrow.  I was all right with that.  I didn't really care.  But, about a couple of months after that, I realized that in less than a year I would be 50.  When my daughter turned 30, it really was a horrible feeling.  How could I have a 30-year-old daughter??  I am not old enough to have a 30-year-old daughter.  I also had to deal with my baby boy getting married last year - which made me feel like I really was getting older. I think it was after Crystal's birthday that I devised a plan.  I was going to take a couple of days off, I was going to get a hotel room - a hotel with a pool - and I was just going to hide out and ride it out.  I had it all figured out. Well, I decided that my kids might be a bit upset with me that I did this.  So, I went back to Plan B - I would do my usual and plan a "kids" birthday for me so that the entire family, including Zach and Chelsea, could have a good time.  I thought of going to Planet Play and setti

The Haunting

It's been a weird few days. I don't know what set me off. But, I've been thinking about Ted a lot. Mostly, I've been thinking about the night he died. And everything that happened that night. One of the girls I worked with lost her husband suddenly a couple of days ago. I'm not sure if that's what set me off - no, I'm pretty sure it is. So I've been going through old blog posts about our trips together. Looking at memories of our times together. We just had fun together and we just loved each other. Anyway, I've been reliving the night he died. Thinking about it pretty consistently. And the things that happened are truly haunting me. Like, how did he get where he was?? He and I had been sitting together and had literally just had an interaction. The interaction was, please sit back, you're blocking my view of the movie. And it was all done in hand gestures. But it was just so Ted. Completely and totally so Ted. Not even a few

Adios, Au Revoir, Goodbye....

So, tonight is my last night on the graveyard shift. It's been fun the days I've worked. I have to say, I really enjoy these up-all-nighters immensely. They are on the complete opposite spectrum of the "normal" people. Here are some final notes on my time here: Marla, Corey, Cheryl, Betsy, Nicole, Doug, Cortney, Angie, Natalie, Nathan, Amber, Jessica, Cliff, Leslie: STOP BEING SO DANG QUIET!!! I am not used to hearing NOTHING!!! I am used to people calling me constantly, I am used to having things to do, I am used to not sitting around and doing nothing!!! I have done nothing for an entire month - and my BUTT HURTS!!! My butt hurts from sitting in this chair and staring at the computer for TWELVE HOURS CONSTANTLY!! However, on the up side - I have completely loved being with you this month!! Watching Nicole's face in lineup when Diane is there is priceless. Nathan's litte quips and comments are hilarious. Cortney and his "touche" comment