Skip to main content

Honeymoon Take Twelve

Ted and I have always deemed something we do as our annual honeymoon.  Some times, we go somewhere huge.  We've done Paris, Cancun and Honolulu before.  We've also done Wendover a couple of times or just got a hotel downtown and had dinner.

Inside the huge Redwood Tree

This year, we had a weekend and we did northern California and southern Oregon.   Of course, we needed to adjust our plans and do a plan B.  Our original plan was to fly into Medford, Oregon, spend the night and drive through to Crescent City, California.   The flight to Medford really got tight and we were thinking we would have to go on Saturday - and that would kill some of our travel time.  But, I started looking and found that we could get into Eugene, Oregon with little problem and the Sunday flight going home looked really good, too.  So that is what we did.  The problem was, that meant we had to arrive in Eugene around 11:00 p.m. and then drive for three hours to get to Medford, where our hotel was.  I drove those three hours.  I kept slapping my leg when I would feel tired to keep myself awake.  My FitBit showed almost a thousand steps - and I hadn't even walked anywhere.  I had woke up at 5:30 in the morning and Ted a little after 6:00 in the morning - so we could work that Friday morning.  I figured when we finally got into bed, we had been up for about 21-22 hours.

We slept about five hours and got back up, so we could start our journey.  We drove down Highway 199, headed toward northern California and Redwood National Park.  Highway 199 was an interesting place.  Lots or organic living.  A place that sold, SWEET CRON.  After someone did some research, it was found that the place had been around a long time and someone had misspelled the sign, so they sold sweet cron instead of corn.  Because they decided it made them different.  There were medicinal marijuana dispensaries.  Just a cool and wierd vibe down that highway.

We arrived at Redwood National Park around 11:00.  We stopped at the information center and found the best place for us to go to tour.  We had an itty bitty rental car - and the road was all dirt.  It worked like a champ, though.  It was amazing to see all these monster trees.  And when a tree fell across the road - they would just chop the part out that was blocking the road.  We spent about three hours going through this loop of the park.  When it ended, we were in Crescent City, California.  Our home for the night.  We booked a hotel that was right on the coast.  We had a balcony that looked out across the ocean and the lighthouse that was running, because of the fog.  You could hear the waves and the foghorn and see the light beacon.  We ate fish and chips for a lunch/dinner in the restaurant in the hotel.  We were exhausted.  So little sleep for two nights straight.  We kept the door from the balcony opened and would listen to the waves.  Ted said he got up around 3:00 in the morning and just went and sat on the balcony.  I was excited that we had this experience that he thought was just so cool.

We woke up the next morning and had breakfast and headed up the coast line.  We had about a five hour drive and about six to seven hours to make it back to the airport in Eugene.  We were driving up Highway 101, up the Oregon Coast.  That was AMAZING!!!  Driving through these huge pine trees and all the sudden it would open up and all you could see was Pacific Ocean.  It was crazy amazing.  Plus there were rivers and lakes coming off the ocean, making it so gorgeous.  We stopped at this ratty little dive and I had a chili dog and Ted had a burger.

We had a great trip. We made it back to the Eugene Airport and dropped off our car and went to the gate,, got our seats and were on the way home.  It was such a wonderful adventure.  I can't wait for the next one.  We've already talked.  We're going international next year!! /This is probably our last trip for the summer.  We've got to go visit Ted's family in August, September time.  Then we're trying to do an Orlando quick trip in October.

PICTURES!!!

Redwood

The little tree needed something to lean on when it fell

Our little itty bitty rental car going through the broken tree

It was hollow on both sides - This was the half on the uphill portion

The part that was on the downhill side

They just get massive and this one looks like a bunch of trees just growing together.  And there were ferns everywhere!  They were so beautiful

From our balcony

The lighthouse just up from our hotel

Honeymoon should have a dessert.  This was frozen bananas, wrapped in wontons, deep fried.  Topped with honey and chocolate.  Then topped with a scoop of ice cream.  The bananas were still cold.  It was sooo tasty!!

Coast line

Ted and I had to walk down this very steep hill to get down to the ocean at this spot.  When we got there, there were bunches of shoes and flip flops that had been left there.  I hope we didn't happen to the after scene of a horror movie and that all the teenagers had been slashed to death.  

Toes in the water - ok, you can't see the water right now.  But, they were in the water.

Foot shot.  Still had sand on my toes when I got home last night.

Driving the coast line

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Me!!

I turned 49 a year ago tomorrow.  I was all right with that.  I didn't really care.  But, about a couple of months after that, I realized that in less than a year I would be 50.  When my daughter turned 30, it really was a horrible feeling.  How could I have a 30-year-old daughter??  I am not old enough to have a 30-year-old daughter.  I also had to deal with my baby boy getting married last year - which made me feel like I really was getting older. I think it was after Crystal's birthday that I devised a plan.  I was going to take a couple of days off, I was going to get a hotel room - a hotel with a pool - and I was just going to hide out and ride it out.  I had it all figured out. Well, I decided that my kids might be a bit upset with me that I did this.  So, I went back to Plan B - I would do my usual and plan a "kids" birthday for me so that the entire family, including Zach and Chelsea, could have a good time.  I thought of going to Planet Play and setti

The Haunting

It's been a weird few days. I don't know what set me off. But, I've been thinking about Ted a lot. Mostly, I've been thinking about the night he died. And everything that happened that night. One of the girls I worked with lost her husband suddenly a couple of days ago. I'm not sure if that's what set me off - no, I'm pretty sure it is. So I've been going through old blog posts about our trips together. Looking at memories of our times together. We just had fun together and we just loved each other. Anyway, I've been reliving the night he died. Thinking about it pretty consistently. And the things that happened are truly haunting me. Like, how did he get where he was?? He and I had been sitting together and had literally just had an interaction. The interaction was, please sit back, you're blocking my view of the movie. And it was all done in hand gestures. But it was just so Ted. Completely and totally so Ted. Not even a few

First Date - - End of an Era!

It's no secret that Ted and I met on the internet. We jibbered and jabbered via Match.Com a few times and then he sent me his phone number. We won't go into details about what made me give him a call, other than I was in need of a boost. I gave him a call and he was "busy" for a bit working on his carbuerator (yes, I was shunned aside for a carbuerator) and he asked if he could call me back later. Well, he did call me later that night and we made arrangements to meet at Denny's on 3500 South and 2200 West the next afternoon. No, it wasn't a four-star restaurant, but it was a way for either of us to run or make excuses if things were not going well. We sat there for a few hours; I drank Diet Coke and Ted drank Iced Tea. We talked, mostly Ted talked, about stuff I had absolutely no clue about; I tease him a lot about everything he says pretty much floats above my head, because I have no idea what he is talking about. That was October 10, 2004. After a w