Skip to main content

Things That Make You Go HMMMMM - - - - - #31

Ted's daughter Dee is down here for a night.  She came down to pick up someone from the airport, spending the night at a hotel and heading back to Idaho. I actually had the night off, because someone awesome offered to work for me, so I was able to spend time with her.  In the couple of hours Ted, Dee and I had, we went to a low-key dinner at Village Inn.  I couldn't talk the manager into pretending it was Wednesday, so there was no free pie.

When we were shown to our table, it took about three seconds to realize the six people who were having dinner at the table two away from us were having quite the conversation.  In fact, we were quick to realize that this was an intervention, family counselling session, family discussion on the current dynamics of the melded family.  The players are as follows; Dad, two daughters, new stepmom, stepmom's ex-daughter-in-law and quiet number six player who really didn't have much to say.

Because I love to use bullets, this is what we learned about this very private situation in this very public setting:

  • Wife to Dad and Mom to the two daughters has passed away
  • Dad has met and married new stepmom
  • Daughters, particularly 36 year old daughter, is not adjusting to new mommy
  • 36-year-old daughter has no life and seems to be causing some marital strife
  • Ex-daughter-in-law suggests that 36-year-old daughter get her own life, so that it won't affect her mentally as it seems to be doing now
  • Ex-daughter-in-law divorced stepmom's son because they didn't communicate
  • Ex-daughter-in-law empathizes about the grief the daughter's are feeling, because her dad died and she understands what it is to lose someone
  • Everyone needs counselling - not what I had to say about it, though I agree, what ex-daughter-in-law said
  • Quiet person didn't do much except nod 
This really made for a pretty uncomfortable dinner.  I felt like I was intruding on something that I shouldn't be.  Though Dee and I did jokingly agree that we were going to stage a re-enactment at some time in the future - we'll have to figure out who to add as players, later.   Beside the point - this was not a quiet conversation.  I understand a neutral location, but this was a very public location, too.  We heard every bit of their conversation.  I kind of felt like I was part of this very public counselling session.

Maybe I should have suggested they head to the Miramar.  That restaurant is awesome, because you pretty much have your own little room and can't hear anything going on in the next room.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Me!!

I turned 49 a year ago tomorrow.  I was all right with that.  I didn't really care.  But, about a couple of months after that, I realized that in less than a year I would be 50.  When my daughter turned 30, it really was a horrible feeling.  How could I have a 30-year-old daughter??  I am not old enough to have a 30-year-old daughter.  I also had to deal with my baby boy getting married last year - which made me feel like I really was getting older. I think it was after Crystal's birthday that I devised a plan.  I was going to take a couple of days off, I was going to get a hotel room - a hotel with a pool - and I was just going to hide out and ride it out.  I had it all figured out. Well, I decided that my kids might be a bit upset with me that I did this.  So, I went back to Plan B - I would do my usual and plan a "kids" birthday for me so that the entire family, including Zach and Chelsea, could have a good time.  I thought of going to Planet Play and setti

The Haunting

It's been a weird few days. I don't know what set me off. But, I've been thinking about Ted a lot. Mostly, I've been thinking about the night he died. And everything that happened that night. One of the girls I worked with lost her husband suddenly a couple of days ago. I'm not sure if that's what set me off - no, I'm pretty sure it is. So I've been going through old blog posts about our trips together. Looking at memories of our times together. We just had fun together and we just loved each other. Anyway, I've been reliving the night he died. Thinking about it pretty consistently. And the things that happened are truly haunting me. Like, how did he get where he was?? He and I had been sitting together and had literally just had an interaction. The interaction was, please sit back, you're blocking my view of the movie. And it was all done in hand gestures. But it was just so Ted. Completely and totally so Ted. Not even a few

365 Days - The Story of a Year

This last year has been the hardest one of my life. And I've had a lot of hard years in my lifetime. But this year involved the health of me and I'm being a little selfish about thinking about just me. But it was hard. But, I survived it. And now I'm learning to THRIVE. A little history. For the last four years, I have been dealing with knee pain. Most of it was in my right knee. For the first couple of years, I would get a cortisone shot and I was good. Usually last for at least a year. Then the cortisone wasn't working anymore. I had the rooster comb injections. They didn't work. So, after that, my doctor told me that I was bone on bone and needed a knee replacement. But for that four years, she kept saying - you're too fat, no surgeon will touch you at your weight. You have got to lose weight. That is always easier said than done. She always made me feel like I was failing at taking care of myself. For the last two years, I have been worki