Skip to main content

Things That Make You Go HMMMMM - - - - - #23

I had a pretty odd day.  Normal day.  Odd day.  Just some strange things that happened.

First off, I started to notice that I drag a lot of crap to work.  I have my large pink bag that I put a change of clothes in.  I want to change into something a little more appropriate on Tuesdays for the class I am taking.  Inside that, I stuff a small computer bag - red leather, I love it!!  Also, in that bag, I have my lunch bag - I'm trying to be really good, so I'm bringing healthy foods.  I have to drag this stuff into the building when I arrive and then back to my car when I'm done for the day and going home.

BAGS!!!!
My purse is usually
bigger
Today, I wore jeans to work.  The plan was to do some more purging of crap at the office, in preparation to move to our new palace.  Moving from the ghetto to the palace is taking some preparation.  So - with the countdown clock starting, my princess and I have been working really hard this last week and a half to get things cleaned up and taken care of.  We have filled two shredding bins, a recycling bin and moved a lot of stuff into one place for people to take possession of.  A lot of work.  So, today I wore jeans so I could get some things cleaned up.

My baby boy and his bride were coming down from Logan and we had made plans to meet up for lunch.  Then my girls came, too.  Then my son-in-law.  It was awesome to go to lunch with my kids!!  That's not the point of this story.  When I went to get into my car, my pants split out in the thigh.  That's what happens when you have thunder thighs - you wear them out in the thigh area.  So, I worked the rest of the day with a large splice.

And now they are trash
When I changed my clothes to go to class, they had been in my pink bag.  Inside that bag today, I had put the baby boy and his bride's Scentsy order from oldest daughter's party.  My shirt smelled so delicious I was so excited to go to class smelling so yummy.  On my way to class, I stopped to grab a bite to eat.  Not really thinking it was a really stupid idea, I stopped at Taco Bell and grabbed one soft taco.  Yeah, you know it, spilled it down the front of me.  Now, instead of smelling delicious, I smell like a gross fast food taco.

That's really not the HMMMM I wanted to talk about.  I wanted to talk about interesting people and judging books by their covers.  Twice this last little bit, I've met incredibly interesting people.  Today, I learned about Ella from my class.  I thought Ella was in my class to learn how to give a talk in church.  She is a little gray haired woman, with lots of wisdom in her wrinkled face.  She's about five feet tall, gray hair and dresses like a grandma who likes to garden.  However, she is the only Utah employee of the National Audubon Society. She sets up and runs a 4,000 acre nature preserve by the Great Salt Lake - BY HERSELF.  She is a very desired speaker for the Audubon Society and will be speaking to a national conference in Portland, Oregon in the near future.  Not what I expected to hear - but, she gets extremely nervous.  The other person I met was working at the gas pump at Sam's Club about a week ago.  This woman came up and started talking to Ted and I and was telling us how she was hoping to get transferred to the Sam's Club closer to her home in Ogden.  After conversing a bit longer, we find out that she had been laid off at her job when the economy downturned and now had to work at Sam's and two other places to continue to support herself.  She has two masters degrees and was working as a forensic genealogical scientist.  She honestly could find anyone and had done the job for a couple of decades and was let go because, "we can pay two younger people for less than we pay you".   Wow!!  What a slap in the face - your years of education, experience and work meant nothing.  So now, she commutes to this job and two other part time jobs to support herself, wearing jeans and a Sam's Club vest.

HMMMMMMM.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Me!!

I turned 49 a year ago tomorrow.  I was all right with that.  I didn't really care.  But, about a couple of months after that, I realized that in less than a year I would be 50.  When my daughter turned 30, it really was a horrible feeling.  How could I have a 30-year-old daughter??  I am not old enough to have a 30-year-old daughter.  I also had to deal with my baby boy getting married last year - which made me feel like I really was getting older. I think it was after Crystal's birthday that I devised a plan.  I was going to take a couple of days off, I was going to get a hotel room - a hotel with a pool - and I was just going to hide out and ride it out.  I had it all figured out. Well, I decided that my kids might be a bit upset with me that I did this.  So, I went back to Plan B - I would do my usual and plan a "kids" birthday for me so that the entire family, including Zach and Chelsea, could have a good time.  I thought of going to Planet Play and setti

The Haunting

It's been a weird few days. I don't know what set me off. But, I've been thinking about Ted a lot. Mostly, I've been thinking about the night he died. And everything that happened that night. One of the girls I worked with lost her husband suddenly a couple of days ago. I'm not sure if that's what set me off - no, I'm pretty sure it is. So I've been going through old blog posts about our trips together. Looking at memories of our times together. We just had fun together and we just loved each other. Anyway, I've been reliving the night he died. Thinking about it pretty consistently. And the things that happened are truly haunting me. Like, how did he get where he was?? He and I had been sitting together and had literally just had an interaction. The interaction was, please sit back, you're blocking my view of the movie. And it was all done in hand gestures. But it was just so Ted. Completely and totally so Ted. Not even a few

First Date - - End of an Era!

It's no secret that Ted and I met on the internet. We jibbered and jabbered via Match.Com a few times and then he sent me his phone number. We won't go into details about what made me give him a call, other than I was in need of a boost. I gave him a call and he was "busy" for a bit working on his carbuerator (yes, I was shunned aside for a carbuerator) and he asked if he could call me back later. Well, he did call me later that night and we made arrangements to meet at Denny's on 3500 South and 2200 West the next afternoon. No, it wasn't a four-star restaurant, but it was a way for either of us to run or make excuses if things were not going well. We sat there for a few hours; I drank Diet Coke and Ted drank Iced Tea. We talked, mostly Ted talked, about stuff I had absolutely no clue about; I tease him a lot about everything he says pretty much floats above my head, because I have no idea what he is talking about. That was October 10, 2004. After a w