Skip to main content

Things That Make You Go HMMMMM - 16

Taking a break from Christmas to give a bit of a ramble and rant.

The other day, my daughter made a post on Facebook about how my granddaughter was coloring and cutting.  Along with that, she was complaining that she was making everything fat.  The snowman was fat, Santa was fat, why was everything fat?  Then my daughter made a disparaging remark about herself after that.  "How do I tell her that she made me fat?".  

She was joking, but, she wasn't.  This is how she sees herself and with that, she feels that she is a little less than perfect.   My granddaughter, only five, is already knowing that to be "fat" is to be a little less than perfect.  My daughter and society has given her this image.  I am sure I have had something to do with it, too.  I and society gave my daughter this vision.  We aren't perfect unless we are a size two and built like a super model - the ones whose pictures we see are air brushed and photoshopped to make them "PERFECT".
Myself, I hate looking in the mirror, especially naked.  I have burdened my soul with the fact that I am less than perfect.  I am a chubby woman.  My weight has gone up, down and back up again.  I lose weight and then, like most women, something stresses or frustrates or worries me and to deal with it, I eat.  I can smell something sweet from miles away and if I can't eat it , I feel deprived and all I want to do is eat it even more.  

About two weeks before Ted and I got married, I flashed him a little bit of some sexy undies I bought - and yes, I was in them.  His response was, "looks like you need to work out more".  Now, before Ted and I ever met, I had worked my ass off and was 50 pounds lighter than I am right now - I had worked very hard to lose that weight.  When Ted said that to me, I was completely devastated.  I was literally ready to call of the wedding because I didn't feel that I could be married to someone who saw me as something less than perfect.  I sat in a parking lot, on the phone, nearly hysterical in tears telling him that I didn't know if I could marry him.  You see, all women want from their men is to see them as something perfect, something beautiful.  We want to be on that pedestal always. They don't want the men in their lives to see them the way they see themselves.  As women, we know each and every bump, blemish, cellulite patch, pound and little imperfection we have.  We don't need anyone to tell us that they exist.

So now, now that I have gained that weight back, I still want my man to see me as perfect.  All women want that.  I have four beautiful daughters and a beautiful daughter-in-law.  I have two beautiful granddaughters.  Each of them are different sizes, different builds, different personalities, different people.  However, each of them are beautiful.  Each of them is gorgeous.  Each of them is perfect.

Comments

  1. Aww Colleen. Now YOU made me Weepy!! It's so true and it's so seemingly impossible to accomplish.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Me!!

I turned 49 a year ago tomorrow.  I was all right with that.  I didn't really care.  But, about a couple of months after that, I realized that in less than a year I would be 50.  When my daughter turned 30, it really was a horrible feeling.  How could I have a 30-year-old daughter??  I am not old enough to have a 30-year-old daughter.  I also had to deal with my baby boy getting married last year - which made me feel like I really was getting older. I think it was after Crystal's birthday that I devised a plan.  I was going to take a couple of days off, I was going to get a hotel room - a hotel with a pool - and I was just going to hide out and ride it out.  I had it all figured out. Well, I decided that my kids might be a bit upset with me that I did this.  So, I went back to Plan B - I would do my usual and plan a "kids" birthday for me so that the entire family, including Zach and Chelsea, could have a good time.  I thought of going to Planet Play and setti

The Haunting

It's been a weird few days. I don't know what set me off. But, I've been thinking about Ted a lot. Mostly, I've been thinking about the night he died. And everything that happened that night. One of the girls I worked with lost her husband suddenly a couple of days ago. I'm not sure if that's what set me off - no, I'm pretty sure it is. So I've been going through old blog posts about our trips together. Looking at memories of our times together. We just had fun together and we just loved each other. Anyway, I've been reliving the night he died. Thinking about it pretty consistently. And the things that happened are truly haunting me. Like, how did he get where he was?? He and I had been sitting together and had literally just had an interaction. The interaction was, please sit back, you're blocking my view of the movie. And it was all done in hand gestures. But it was just so Ted. Completely and totally so Ted. Not even a few

First Date - - End of an Era!

It's no secret that Ted and I met on the internet. We jibbered and jabbered via Match.Com a few times and then he sent me his phone number. We won't go into details about what made me give him a call, other than I was in need of a boost. I gave him a call and he was "busy" for a bit working on his carbuerator (yes, I was shunned aside for a carbuerator) and he asked if he could call me back later. Well, he did call me later that night and we made arrangements to meet at Denny's on 3500 South and 2200 West the next afternoon. No, it wasn't a four-star restaurant, but it was a way for either of us to run or make excuses if things were not going well. We sat there for a few hours; I drank Diet Coke and Ted drank Iced Tea. We talked, mostly Ted talked, about stuff I had absolutely no clue about; I tease him a lot about everything he says pretty much floats above my head, because I have no idea what he is talking about. That was October 10, 2004. After a w