Skip to main content

Must Be The Season

When I married the smartest man in the world - the geekiest man in the world, he had been single for sixteen years.  One daughter across the country, living in Virginia and one daughter up north in Idaho.  There wasn't much of a reason to decorate at his house.  The first time I went to his house, it was December 12 (yes, there is a reason I know the exact date, but, I ain't gonna tell ya!!).  He had really no decorations, he did manage to find some lovely Christmas music to set the mood.

We were pretty much a couple from that moment on - prior to that, I had been deciding if I wanted a relationship with him - and he was probably trying to decide if he wanted one with me.  We spent the next couple of weeks spending quite a bit of time together.  I went as his date to his Civil Air Patrol banquet - where everyone lauded him as a very important person in the organization - he was very appreciated and loved.  That's when I pretty much fell in love with him, hearing what people had to say to him made me realize what a gem of a man he was.  Come Christmas Eve, he was introduced to my entire family - a very pregnant Crystal and Brandon, sweet and contrary KayeLynn and my baby boy Rodger.  This was a true test of a man, to walk into this loud and noisy townhouse with all these people - a huge Christmas tree bursting with gifts for all, a huge dinner and a lot of laughter and love.  He came back the next morning when we opened gifts and he was surprised to see that he actually had a couple waiting for him. We had breakfast.  He spent the day with us until I had to go to work that evening.  It was our first Christmas together.

I am a traditionalist.  I follow the same pattern.  I do the same thing pretty much every year.  The day after Halloween, here comes the Thanksgiving decorations.  The day after Thanksgiving or sometimes Saturday, here comes Christmas.  I want to squeeze every moment out of the holidays.

This year, I haven't been able to get the tree up.  The tree has NEVER been this late going up - it's now December 1 for crying out loud!!!  But, with having Ted's mom here and spending every moment trying to make sure her visit was wonderful, I didn't get it done.  Then right after she left, I was waking up to get ready for work.

Yesterday, I got of early - I went to lunch with friends, I had a doctor appointment with the diet doctor (UGH, Holy High Blood Pressure Batman!!), went and got my nails done for the very first time.  I got home around 3:00.  The man who really didn't decorate for Christmas until he was rolled over by this crazy family had brought the tree up.  He had it sitting in front of the family shrine, also known as the television.  He did it to be considerate - but, in his subconscious, I think it was his way of telling me - it's time to bring Christmas into the house, it's just time.


So, this very lovely weekend, every available moment, it's time to bring the jolly into the holly, it's time to bring the reason into the season, it's time to warm the mantle.

To the smartest, geekiest man in the world.  I love you so very much.  You bring the warm into my life every day.  Thanks for bringing the tree up.

Comments

  1. This is a beautiful, fun and heartwarming story. Here's wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Me!!

I turned 49 a year ago tomorrow.  I was all right with that.  I didn't really care.  But, about a couple of months after that, I realized that in less than a year I would be 50.  When my daughter turned 30, it really was a horrible feeling.  How could I have a 30-year-old daughter??  I am not old enough to have a 30-year-old daughter.  I also had to deal with my baby boy getting married last year - which made me feel like I really was getting older. I think it was after Crystal's birthday that I devised a plan.  I was going to take a couple of days off, I was going to get a hotel room - a hotel with a pool - and I was just going to hide out and ride it out.  I had it all figured out. Well, I decided that my kids might be a bit upset with me that I did this.  So, I went back to Plan B - I would do my usual and plan a "kids" birthday for me so that the entire family, including Zach and Chelsea, could have a good time.  I thought of going to Planet Play and setti

The Haunting

It's been a weird few days. I don't know what set me off. But, I've been thinking about Ted a lot. Mostly, I've been thinking about the night he died. And everything that happened that night. One of the girls I worked with lost her husband suddenly a couple of days ago. I'm not sure if that's what set me off - no, I'm pretty sure it is. So I've been going through old blog posts about our trips together. Looking at memories of our times together. We just had fun together and we just loved each other. Anyway, I've been reliving the night he died. Thinking about it pretty consistently. And the things that happened are truly haunting me. Like, how did he get where he was?? He and I had been sitting together and had literally just had an interaction. The interaction was, please sit back, you're blocking my view of the movie. And it was all done in hand gestures. But it was just so Ted. Completely and totally so Ted. Not even a few

First Date - - End of an Era!

It's no secret that Ted and I met on the internet. We jibbered and jabbered via Match.Com a few times and then he sent me his phone number. We won't go into details about what made me give him a call, other than I was in need of a boost. I gave him a call and he was "busy" for a bit working on his carbuerator (yes, I was shunned aside for a carbuerator) and he asked if he could call me back later. Well, he did call me later that night and we made arrangements to meet at Denny's on 3500 South and 2200 West the next afternoon. No, it wasn't a four-star restaurant, but it was a way for either of us to run or make excuses if things were not going well. We sat there for a few hours; I drank Diet Coke and Ted drank Iced Tea. We talked, mostly Ted talked, about stuff I had absolutely no clue about; I tease him a lot about everything he says pretty much floats above my head, because I have no idea what he is talking about. That was October 10, 2004. After a w