Skip to main content

I'm Sorry - It's You, Not Me. And We May Need to Take a Break

The last few days I've been noticing an anxious feeling.  An exhausted feeling.  It's such a habit and such a addiction that I feel that I need to break it.  I'm talking about Facebook. 

It's becoming such a divisive and horrible place to linger.  It's becoming a spiral of negative.  It's been coming on for the last few years and I've truly come to the end of my rope and I'm trying to break the habit.  It truly is a habit.  It's on my phone - I pick it up and I look at it just for no reason.  No reason other than to be dragged down by it. 

It used to be fun to look at people's pictures.  It used to be fun to see the funny videos.  It used to be fun to see the animal pictures.  It used to be fun to see what people share.  Now, people share stuff that most of us don't want to deal with.  It's political, it's negative.  I don't understand why we have to post all this garbage - which most of it is false anyway.  Both sides.  Seeking the truth first doesn't seem to matter much anymore.  People will see something, it's what they want to believe, and they share it. 

Facebook put a "snooze for 30 days" option on.  I've snoozed ten people in the last two days, because I don't want to see anymore.  But, it just doesn't feel like it's enough.

Let me put it more strongly - - you're not going to change my mind.  I'm not going to change your mind.  Don't overwhelm my feed with your crap.  Keep it to yourself.  Read all this stuff you want - - - and I'll read what I want - - - and we'll keep it to ourselves.  When I want an opinion, I'll ask for it.  We can have a discussion. 

And for that reason, I'm trying to be more reasonable with my Facebook time.  I'm trying to hang out on Instagram, where those pictures went that I love to look at.  I'm going to Facebook to play my games and hope there is a picture or two of my grandchildren - and then I am trying to put my computer, my phone, my IPad down and not get sucked into the quagmire of what people think.  Nobody is getting Happy Birthdays anymore, because I'm avoiding it.  So Happy Birthday this year, maybe next - - - Hope it's a great one!!!!

Bring back the kiddy, animal pictures.  Bring back the funny videos.  But until then, I'm tired.


Comments

  1. Sounds like you are doing what President Nelson has asked the youth (and everyone else) to do: Taking a fast of 7 days from social media to see how much better your life can be. He acknowledge that there can be a lot of good from the internet, but a lot of bad also.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

365 Days - The Story of a Year

This last year has been the hardest one of my life. And I've had a lot of hard years in my lifetime. But this year involved the health of me and I'm being a little selfish about thinking about just me. But it was hard. But, I survived it. And now I'm learning to THRIVE. A little history. For the last four years, I have been dealing with knee pain. Most of it was in my right knee. For the first couple of years, I would get a cortisone shot and I was good. Usually last for at least a year. Then the cortisone wasn't working anymore. I had the rooster comb injections. They didn't work. So, after that, my doctor told me that I was bone on bone and needed a knee replacement. But for that four years, she kept saying - you're too fat, no surgeon will touch you at your weight. You have got to lose weight. That is always easier said than done. She always made me feel like I was failing at taking care of myself. For the last two years, I have been worki

The Haunting

It's been a weird few days. I don't know what set me off. But, I've been thinking about Ted a lot. Mostly, I've been thinking about the night he died. And everything that happened that night. One of the girls I worked with lost her husband suddenly a couple of days ago. I'm not sure if that's what set me off - no, I'm pretty sure it is. So I've been going through old blog posts about our trips together. Looking at memories of our times together. We just had fun together and we just loved each other. Anyway, I've been reliving the night he died. Thinking about it pretty consistently. And the things that happened are truly haunting me. Like, how did he get where he was?? He and I had been sitting together and had literally just had an interaction. The interaction was, please sit back, you're blocking my view of the movie. And it was all done in hand gestures. But it was just so Ted. Completely and totally so Ted. Not even a few

Happy Birthday Me!!

I turned 49 a year ago tomorrow.  I was all right with that.  I didn't really care.  But, about a couple of months after that, I realized that in less than a year I would be 50.  When my daughter turned 30, it really was a horrible feeling.  How could I have a 30-year-old daughter??  I am not old enough to have a 30-year-old daughter.  I also had to deal with my baby boy getting married last year - which made me feel like I really was getting older. I think it was after Crystal's birthday that I devised a plan.  I was going to take a couple of days off, I was going to get a hotel room - a hotel with a pool - and I was just going to hide out and ride it out.  I had it all figured out. Well, I decided that my kids might be a bit upset with me that I did this.  So, I went back to Plan B - I would do my usual and plan a "kids" birthday for me so that the entire family, including Zach and Chelsea, could have a good time.  I thought of going to Planet Play and setti