Skip to main content

Annual Honeymoon 13 - Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Holland)

So Ted and I have not been able to use my benefits internationally, because at first, he didn't dare take time off and then he changed jobs - he just started accruing vacation.  So, this week, we actually both have vacation - so we decided a quick trip to Europe was in order.  We decided on Amsterdam.  Now - this was a quick trip.  We left Sunday afternoon, arriving Monday morning.  We spent Monday and Tuesday doing our sightseeing and back to the airport on Wednesday for an early flight out.

Our hopes were for Delta One.  That is first class on Delta for international and some domestic flights.  This would be the first time for Ted and I to experience this together.  We have had first class before - but Delta One is a totally different experience.  Lay down/ reclining seats, personal comforter and large pillow, large personal entertainment screens, champagne offered upon seating.  Ted and I were the only two "non-revs" to actually get Delta One on the flight there.  And we actually got it on the flight back.  Such an amazing experience.   We were fed like crazy!!!

As soon as we arrived in Amsterdam, we took off to Keukenhof Gardens.  It is a large park, that showcases the tulips that are in bloom during the spring.  It was so beautiful and so amazing.  I might have appreciated it a little bit more if I wasn't freezing to death!!!   When we were leaving, weather reports indicated that it would be around 55-60 degrees.  To me, that is sweater weather.  It's not sweater weather in Amsterdam - it's rather briskly cold!!  I took a sweater, figuring I would be carrying it mostly.  Hell no - I wore it constantly.  It was beautiful there, though and we enjoyed our time.

After that we headed to our hotel, checked in and crashed.  Like really early.  From about 5:00 in the evening we were pretty much sleeping.  We had snacks we brought from home for dinner.

Next day, we got up early and headed to the train station to go into the city of Amsterdam.  We just toured the city by bus and boat.  Touring the canals and the city. Remember how I told you I was freezing - same thing, different day.  I ended up in a little souvenir shop to buy a sweatshirt with Amsterdam on it.  Ted said he couldn't stand looking at me with my teeth close to chattering.  We topped off the day by vising the Anne Frank Huis.  This was the house that Anne and her family stayed hidden in during the war before being captured after someone turned them in.  It was such an amazing experience, I truly sat in a panic attack feeling state as we walked through the house and saw the space.  It was well worth the wait we had to get in.

PHOTOS!!!
Our cute little room had twin beds.  HAHA.  I couldn't
get this picture in the right place!!  So - it's stuck here!!

The I amsterdam sign outside the airport

Large field of tulips as you walk into Keukenhof

Couple of old honeymooners who flew all night, then took
the hour bus ride out to Keukenhof to wander around




Yes - i'm gorgeous.   Drizzling rain.  Wet hair.  Wet clothes.
Freezing to death.  Ted at least remembered his umbrella



Windmill inside Keukenhof

Clog molds outside the windmill

Me in the big flowered wedding gown.  I
had to climb a ladder to get up there.  HAHA


True Love take one

True love take two

We shared a grilled ham and cheese and a Diet Pepsi for
lunch.  Cheese in The Netherlands is extremely tasty. It was
so good I had a ham and cheese the next day, too. We were sitting
on wet hay bales at this wooden table to eat.    

It's all Dutch to me

Even though I was freezing, we needed to have a Dutch ice
cream cone.  The consistency is different than here in
the US.  Still pretty tasty.  
Display of flowers

There are those old farts again



Centraal Station.  All the trains go in and out.  There are
restaurants inside and stores.  It's quite impressive inside.

Old farts - again

OK - I'm apparently really impressed with this old church
I have a bunch of pictures at different times.  But, I do
love old churches.  I wish I had gone inside.


From across the canal

The only working windmill left in the city of Amsterdam

Houseboats.  People live in them.  They have to pay
a premium to rent the mooring space.  And it rents
by the square footage.  We saw some big ones and some little ones

Heineken Brewery

Some of the buildings had very impressive sculptures and
such on them.  I thought they were lovely.

This was the top of the other church.  This one is just down
the street from Anne Frank's hiding place.  She wrote about the bells.
They go off every fifteen minutes.  She said how she had
become accustomed to the sound - that it made her feel safe.
But her sister and mother did not like them going off every fifteen
minutes.

I just loved this house that was right on the canal.  Just
something about it.  Most of the houses/buildings are built
right next to each other.  This one sat alone.

The line to go into the Anne Frank Huis.  We stood in line about
an hour and a half to get in.  It was such a remarkable experience
I just felt honored that I got to share in it - that I got to be
there.

Freaking freezing!!!  That's my new nifty hoodie.  And we
needed some hot chocolate to warm me up while waiting
to get into the house.

After going to the Anne Frank Huis, Ted and I went down the street
for dinner  We went to a place called "Pancakes".  They specialize
in Dutch pancakes.  You get one pancake - it's very thin and has an eggy
consistency.  Almost huge crepe like, but a little different.
I ordered mine with butter and raspberry jelly/syrup stuff.  It
was really quite good.  

Ted's had apple crumble and ice cream

We found the Royal Palace on our  way back to Centraal
Station.  This is the roof top on the backside.  A statue
of Atlas with the World on his back

Royal Palace
All in all, I did not love Amsterdam like I love Paris.  I know I shouldn't compare the two, as they are two completely different places.  I am glad we went.  I am glad I got to see the sights there, it was definitely worth it.  And that first class ride?  Ted is asking when we can do that again.  Besides - I still have twenty four Euros - I guess I have to go back somewhere.

Comments

  1. It looks like you had a wonderful time. I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Me!!

I turned 49 a year ago tomorrow.  I was all right with that.  I didn't really care.  But, about a couple of months after that, I realized that in less than a year I would be 50.  When my daughter turned 30, it really was a horrible feeling.  How could I have a 30-year-old daughter??  I am not old enough to have a 30-year-old daughter.  I also had to deal with my baby boy getting married last year - which made me feel like I really was getting older. I think it was after Crystal's birthday that I devised a plan.  I was going to take a couple of days off, I was going to get a hotel room - a hotel with a pool - and I was just going to hide out and ride it out.  I had it all figured out. Well, I decided that my kids might be a bit upset with me that I did this.  So, I went back to Plan B - I would do my usual and plan a "kids" birthday for me so that the entire family, including Zach and Chelsea, could have a good time.  I thought of going to Planet Play and setti

The Haunting

It's been a weird few days. I don't know what set me off. But, I've been thinking about Ted a lot. Mostly, I've been thinking about the night he died. And everything that happened that night. One of the girls I worked with lost her husband suddenly a couple of days ago. I'm not sure if that's what set me off - no, I'm pretty sure it is. So I've been going through old blog posts about our trips together. Looking at memories of our times together. We just had fun together and we just loved each other. Anyway, I've been reliving the night he died. Thinking about it pretty consistently. And the things that happened are truly haunting me. Like, how did he get where he was?? He and I had been sitting together and had literally just had an interaction. The interaction was, please sit back, you're blocking my view of the movie. And it was all done in hand gestures. But it was just so Ted. Completely and totally so Ted. Not even a few

365 Days - The Story of a Year

This last year has been the hardest one of my life. And I've had a lot of hard years in my lifetime. But this year involved the health of me and I'm being a little selfish about thinking about just me. But it was hard. But, I survived it. And now I'm learning to THRIVE. A little history. For the last four years, I have been dealing with knee pain. Most of it was in my right knee. For the first couple of years, I would get a cortisone shot and I was good. Usually last for at least a year. Then the cortisone wasn't working anymore. I had the rooster comb injections. They didn't work. So, after that, my doctor told me that I was bone on bone and needed a knee replacement. But for that four years, she kept saying - you're too fat, no surgeon will touch you at your weight. You have got to lose weight. That is always easier said than done. She always made me feel like I was failing at taking care of myself. For the last two years, I have been worki