Skip to main content

Getting Healthy, Losing Weight and Humiliation

I've made no secret that I'm doing Weight Watchers.  I started at the end of April.  At this point, I am down just under 34 pounds.  Yesterday, I had the greatest experience hitting a milestone I have not really seen in ten years.  I actually had a sit down and told Ted about my loss, where I started and where I am now.  I started crying and it caused him to get all weepy with me.  I am extremely proud of my accomplishment.

I have not been moving as much as I would like to do.  I was doing great, walking and moving before fall hit - and then I pretty much stopped.  So - yesterday at my meeting, we had to set a goal for January, February and March.  My goal was to get down at least eight more pounds.  And to either go to the fitness center or walk at least twice a week.  I know that doesn't sound like much, but I get a lot of steps on the days that I work.  So - I figured if I set a goal of two days a week, it was something I could meet.

That brings me to today.  The fitness center has a class for cardio kickboxing.  Oh my gosh - I thought that sounded like so much fun!!!  Last week I wanted to go - but because of a bad night, I didn't get up in time to do it and I was just plain old exhausted.  So - today was the day I was going to go!!!!   I get all dressed in my cute sports bra/tank, get my workout pants on, get my walking shoes on, grab my water and I'm out the door.  I'm so going to conquer this stinking class!!  I'm going to be amazing!!!  Ten minutes in - - WHAT THE HELL am I doing???   I grab a drink of water and rest for a moment and I go back.  OK - here we go, kick, punch, jump, kick punch, up, down, kick, punch.  Well, when I punch up above my head, I am suddenly hit with a lightheadedness.  It's common with me.  I have a pinched nerve in my shoulder to neck area.  If I even raise my arm in a certain way, I get a rush to my head and I'm lightheaded.  It happens at work all the time when I check the assignments on the boards on the wall and I have to use the mouse.

Me being so cocky before heading off to kickboxing
class.  Yeah - that didn't work out so well
So - this lightheaded girl grabs a drink of water and heads outside the dance class area and sit down to try and get it to subside.  Five minutes later, the instructor is checking on me.  Tell me to come back when I'm feeling well.  I get up and go back  in.  We are working with jump ropes.  I am trying to jump rope and I look like Bessie the Cow - I can't do a full rotation.  When I was younger, I was a champ - but, holy crap - I looked ridiculous.  Start up again - get that arm over my head - and here I am down again.  Have to go sit back down again.  I decided it was time to give up.  I wasn't getting anything out of this class.  So - I went up to the track and walked for 25 minutes and realized how much I really love walking.

So - I guess it's water aerobics, stationary bikes and walking for me.  No more thinking I'm not going to be 55 in a few weeks.  It's time to think about doing Silver Sneakers classes, because apparently, I'm not as young as that 65 year old woman who was jumping around and looking like a champ in the kickboxing class.  Maybe when I'm in a little better shape.

Comments

  1. I'm proud of you for just trying..this article got me all bundled with nerves just waiting for you to try it..but i'm proud of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should be very proud of yoyrself! The struggle is real and I'm right there with you, buddy. I'm proud of you too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Me!!

I turned 49 a year ago tomorrow.  I was all right with that.  I didn't really care.  But, about a couple of months after that, I realized that in less than a year I would be 50.  When my daughter turned 30, it really was a horrible feeling.  How could I have a 30-year-old daughter??  I am not old enough to have a 30-year-old daughter.  I also had to deal with my baby boy getting married last year - which made me feel like I really was getting older. I think it was after Crystal's birthday that I devised a plan.  I was going to take a couple of days off, I was going to get a hotel room - a hotel with a pool - and I was just going to hide out and ride it out.  I had it all figured out. Well, I decided that my kids might be a bit upset with me that I did this.  So, I went back to Plan B - I would do my usual and plan a "kids" birthday for me so that the entire family, including Zach and Chelsea, could have a good time.  I thought of going to Planet Play and setti

The Haunting

It's been a weird few days. I don't know what set me off. But, I've been thinking about Ted a lot. Mostly, I've been thinking about the night he died. And everything that happened that night. One of the girls I worked with lost her husband suddenly a couple of days ago. I'm not sure if that's what set me off - no, I'm pretty sure it is. So I've been going through old blog posts about our trips together. Looking at memories of our times together. We just had fun together and we just loved each other. Anyway, I've been reliving the night he died. Thinking about it pretty consistently. And the things that happened are truly haunting me. Like, how did he get where he was?? He and I had been sitting together and had literally just had an interaction. The interaction was, please sit back, you're blocking my view of the movie. And it was all done in hand gestures. But it was just so Ted. Completely and totally so Ted. Not even a few

365 Days - The Story of a Year

This last year has been the hardest one of my life. And I've had a lot of hard years in my lifetime. But this year involved the health of me and I'm being a little selfish about thinking about just me. But it was hard. But, I survived it. And now I'm learning to THRIVE. A little history. For the last four years, I have been dealing with knee pain. Most of it was in my right knee. For the first couple of years, I would get a cortisone shot and I was good. Usually last for at least a year. Then the cortisone wasn't working anymore. I had the rooster comb injections. They didn't work. So, after that, my doctor told me that I was bone on bone and needed a knee replacement. But for that four years, she kept saying - you're too fat, no surgeon will touch you at your weight. You have got to lose weight. That is always easier said than done. She always made me feel like I was failing at taking care of myself. For the last two years, I have been worki