Skip to main content

What April Brings

April - it's been an odd month.  Just new things happening and old things starting up again.  The weather has been one of those usual up and downs.  That time of year when it can be 75 degrees and lovely outside and twelve hours later the wind starts up.  The wind blows in the clouds and the storms start.  Mother Nature will flip a coin and decide if you are going to get snow or get rain - but, usually you end up with both.  Two days later, it will be 75 degrees again. You can literally go from wearing flip-flops and capris to long sleeves and snow boots in the span of twelve hours.  But, hey - wait another twelve hours and it will change again.  It just  means it is Spring in Utah.

I was so in love with the Houston
Space Cow.  He was in the lobby
by the Delta check in counter.
The month started out with me working in a totally different world.  I got the call that they needed a few extra agents in Houston because of the college basketball finals.  I got on a plane and headed to Houston on Monday afternoon, arrived Monday evening, ate a salad at a restaurant in the airport, got on a shuttle and headed to my home for the evening - a Ramada hotel.  I hung out in my room, watched cable television, which was me watching When Harry Met Sally and My Big Fat Greek Wedding.  When I finally fell asleep, it was a horrible one.  They had horrible pillows - which is usually the problem with hotels.  I woke up the next morning, got my uniform on and headed out on the shuttle to the airport.  Worked from 9:00 in the morning until 5:30 in the evening - grabbed my backpack and headed through security and got on a plane 45 minutes later.  Whirlwind. But, it was an amazing experience to learn how another station works.  My feet HURT!!!!  It's on my bucket list to go back.  I want to hang out on Galveston Island and  go to the Kennedy Space Center - Houston, we have a problem.
They had cowboy boots
all around the ticket counter
area.  Big old cool cowboy
boots

I was glad to be home, because Wednesday I got to see the greatest eight year old in her school talent show.  She hula-hooped to "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" and then performed with her class playing the ukulele.  These are the moments I love. Seeing my grandchildren growing up and learning and doing amazing things.
Chelsea (center with pink tutu) and her class playing
ukulele.  I tried to video
the hula-hooping, but it didn't turn out well.  I wish I had
just taken a few pictures!!!

My mother celebrated her 88th birthday.  I really don't know that she'll have another one.  She's in a tired body, with a tired mind and she just doesn't feel well.  But, you never know with her, there have been times when I didn't think she would be here for another birthday and yet, she's now 88.  I just hate seeing her miserable - but, I hate the idea of her leaving.

I started Weight Watchers - AGAIN.  It really is the best thing I can do for myself.  But, finding then keeping that discipline is so hard.  I am tired of my big butt keeping me from doing so many things.  So - this is the first week - so far, so good. I had a little hiccup, but really not a bad one yesterday.  But, we'll keep on keeping on.  I also started doing Yoga.  I'm just starting at home with some beginners videos from YouTube.  But, I've tried to do at least twenty minutes each day - except for that hiccup yesterday.  

This week I've had to work my own shift.  I usually double up on my shifts and work two or two and half days a week.  That gives me the great opportunity of only working every other week.   Work nine shift in seven days (with two and a half days off) and then have seven off. Sounds really hard, but I really only work about 46 hours on the weeks I work.  This week, my double partner has been off, so I've had to work my own shift.  I honestly have no idea how people wake up five days in a row and go to work and get to work at 7:00 in the morning. Honestly, I am so freaking spoiled, I have no idea how people do this anymore.  If I had to work a full eight hours, five days straight, I have absolutely no idea how I would handle that.  

Yesterday was a very interesting day.  It's been two years since I left my last life, the anniversary has been this last week.  Facebook "memories" has kept me reminded of that.  But, while working yesterday, I checked my phone to see I had a text from a blast from the previous life.  Someone I had not talked to for two years because we had a difference of opinions.  It was nice to hear her voice again.  

I'm sorry - but without the visual, you just cannot even
understand the "murder" scene.  I can't believe that much
blood came out of 79 pounds and she's still alive.
The biggest thing, and the hiccup part to the diet and exercise, was my daughter calling me yesterday afternoon while the hubby and I were having some quality time.  She said my mother was bleeding and that she was bleeding a lot.  We rushed over to the house to see what was going on.  There were bloody rags and bloody tissues all around.  The carpet looked like a murder scene waiting for the clean up crew. I grabbed a couple of towels and put one under her foot and wrapped the other one and put pressure on this wound that was pouring blood from it.  Sounds like a huge gaping wound, doesn't it.  It literally was the size of two pencil tips - at the most. This tiny little hole in her thin, filmy skin.  It was oozing blood out like crazy.  After we got the blood stopped, there was the issue of the murder scene.  Two and a half bottles of peroxide later, it's almost presentable.  Hopefully, some shampooing or something can clean up what the peroxide couldn't.   The worst part about it???  Cookies.  My mother has had a crazy sweet tooth that my daughter, who is living with her, feeds with sweets and baked goods.  There were homemade cookies there.  AND I ATE THEM!!!!  

There are six days in April left.  What new, what old, what different things can happen. I guess I shouldn't tempt the fates with what may be out there beyond the temperature changing.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Me!!

I turned 49 a year ago tomorrow.  I was all right with that.  I didn't really care.  But, about a couple of months after that, I realized that in less than a year I would be 50.  When my daughter turned 30, it really was a horrible feeling.  How could I have a 30-year-old daughter??  I am not old enough to have a 30-year-old daughter.  I also had to deal with my baby boy getting married last year - which made me feel like I really was getting older. I think it was after Crystal's birthday that I devised a plan.  I was going to take a couple of days off, I was going to get a hotel room - a hotel with a pool - and I was just going to hide out and ride it out.  I had it all figured out. Well, I decided that my kids might be a bit upset with me that I did this.  So, I went back to Plan B - I would do my usual and plan a "kids" birthday for me so that the entire family, including Zach and Chelsea, could have a good time.  I thought of going to Planet Play and setti

The Haunting

It's been a weird few days. I don't know what set me off. But, I've been thinking about Ted a lot. Mostly, I've been thinking about the night he died. And everything that happened that night. One of the girls I worked with lost her husband suddenly a couple of days ago. I'm not sure if that's what set me off - no, I'm pretty sure it is. So I've been going through old blog posts about our trips together. Looking at memories of our times together. We just had fun together and we just loved each other. Anyway, I've been reliving the night he died. Thinking about it pretty consistently. And the things that happened are truly haunting me. Like, how did he get where he was?? He and I had been sitting together and had literally just had an interaction. The interaction was, please sit back, you're blocking my view of the movie. And it was all done in hand gestures. But it was just so Ted. Completely and totally so Ted. Not even a few

365 Days - The Story of a Year

This last year has been the hardest one of my life. And I've had a lot of hard years in my lifetime. But this year involved the health of me and I'm being a little selfish about thinking about just me. But it was hard. But, I survived it. And now I'm learning to THRIVE. A little history. For the last four years, I have been dealing with knee pain. Most of it was in my right knee. For the first couple of years, I would get a cortisone shot and I was good. Usually last for at least a year. Then the cortisone wasn't working anymore. I had the rooster comb injections. They didn't work. So, after that, my doctor told me that I was bone on bone and needed a knee replacement. But for that four years, she kept saying - you're too fat, no surgeon will touch you at your weight. You have got to lose weight. That is always easier said than done. She always made me feel like I was failing at taking care of myself. For the last two years, I have been worki