Skip to main content

Eleven Out of Twelve

I survived my first "busiest travel season" which in the rest of the world equates to the Christmas and New Years holiday time.  I'm not sure how I did it, because when it all boiled down to it, I ended up pushing myself to the very, very limit.  I worked out some trades and somehow had myself working all but one day since and including Christmas day.  I ended up with some painful ankles and shin splints - the explanation on that to follow.  But, the biggest news is, I survived it.  

I agreed to work Christmas day for someone who was offering to work two shifts in exchange for that.  Well, that worked out nicely in my favor, so I jumped on it.  I had intended to find someone I felt deserved it off anyway and cover it for them.  The selfish side in me decided that the two for one offer couldn't be refused.  It worked out for the both of us, she got to be home on Christmas and I now have two days off.  I then worked my four shifts.  I then worked my two days off, the 30th and 31st for two of my co-workers - one an eight hour shift and the other a four hour shift to pay back for her covering so I could go to my family Christmas party on December 22.  I wouldn't consider New Years Eve working though.  I worked at the front counter and it was extraordinarily slow.  I think I helped two, maybe three, passengers.  They fed me pizza and let me go home an hour early.  But, I was away from my family for New Years Eve, so that should count for something.  I did have New Years Day off, it was the only day I did have off, and then I worked the next four days which are my regularly scheduled shifts - this also included staying over two days.
How I spent much of my shift on New
Years Eve - doodle doodle doodle

Having New Years Day off was great, and I wouldn't have given it up for anything, because it's our annual family movie marathon day.  We go to the cheapo dollar theatres and watch whatever movies we can get in or stand from morning until night.  I made it through three.  Ted, Raja and Rustie did four.  I took the babies home with me after the third and hung out with them.  Thank goodness KayeLynn came home with me!!

Here are some lessons I learned from this eleven out of twelve:

  • I am getting better at this job.  I still have a lot to learn, but the majority of my flights I worked by myself.  I didn't have one delay attributed to me.  
  • Holiday season means there are ALOT of families travelling together.  They all want to sit together.  Flights are completely full.  It's quite the chore in trying to get people together.  I learned to concentrate on the families with the little ones.  
  • Sometimes to get those families together, you have to move people into some awesome seats - yes that includes first class, but only if it was available and nobody was sitting on the upgrade list.  
  • Being the only agent left on a concourse is a bit freaky.  I stayed until 1:00 in the morning this last Friday.  Everyone else was gone.  All that was around was the cleaning people and a couple of passengers.  The breakroom was dark, The shops were closed.  It was just me.
  • You can't take things personally, and that is hard for me.  The one thing it does do for me though, it makes my resolve stronger to become great at this.  I'm still new at this and the first few months I was not learning the entire job.  I've been told it takes a good year to feel comfortable and I don't know that I can count those first three months.  Again, I'm getting pretty good at most of this and I know my weaknesses.  It's just a matter of strengthening those weaknesses.
  • The days I worked, with the exception of two, my fitbit registered over 10,000 steps on those days and one of them was over 15,000.  Most of my walking was done at work.
  • And my final lesson.  The most important lesson of all.  Don't buy new shoes and try to break them in during the busiest travel season.  There is a lot of walking, there is a lot of running, there is a lot of standing.  I now have a slight case of shin splints and sore ankles from trying to break in my new shoes.  Ted and I are planning a pretty significant hike in the next few days, I am hoping this doesn't hinder our plans.
What did working eleven out of twelve busy holiday season days do for me?  Well, starting with this very day, I have ten days off.   Ted and I will be off somewhere for our annual honeymoon trip for a few days.  It's well deserved for both of us - some awesome time together!!  I'll let ya know how that turns out!

I always want my name to be on this list

Comments

  1. I guess I am going to chance double commenting because I don't know if my original posted!

    I am so glad you get some time off now. You deserve it! I hope you have a fantabulous vacation! I will be sitting in Utah in January being super jelly.

    <3 you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. UMMM - I think you will be heading to warmer climates real soon, too. And it will be so exciting. I'm more excited for that video than I was for all of Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Me!!

I turned 49 a year ago tomorrow.  I was all right with that.  I didn't really care.  But, about a couple of months after that, I realized that in less than a year I would be 50.  When my daughter turned 30, it really was a horrible feeling.  How could I have a 30-year-old daughter??  I am not old enough to have a 30-year-old daughter.  I also had to deal with my baby boy getting married last year - which made me feel like I really was getting older. I think it was after Crystal's birthday that I devised a plan.  I was going to take a couple of days off, I was going to get a hotel room - a hotel with a pool - and I was just going to hide out and ride it out.  I had it all figured out. Well, I decided that my kids might be a bit upset with me that I did this.  So, I went back to Plan B - I would do my usual and plan a "kids" birthday for me so that the entire family, including Zach and Chelsea, could have a good time.  I thought of going to Planet Play and setti

The Haunting

It's been a weird few days. I don't know what set me off. But, I've been thinking about Ted a lot. Mostly, I've been thinking about the night he died. And everything that happened that night. One of the girls I worked with lost her husband suddenly a couple of days ago. I'm not sure if that's what set me off - no, I'm pretty sure it is. So I've been going through old blog posts about our trips together. Looking at memories of our times together. We just had fun together and we just loved each other. Anyway, I've been reliving the night he died. Thinking about it pretty consistently. And the things that happened are truly haunting me. Like, how did he get where he was?? He and I had been sitting together and had literally just had an interaction. The interaction was, please sit back, you're blocking my view of the movie. And it was all done in hand gestures. But it was just so Ted. Completely and totally so Ted. Not even a few

365 Days - The Story of a Year

This last year has been the hardest one of my life. And I've had a lot of hard years in my lifetime. But this year involved the health of me and I'm being a little selfish about thinking about just me. But it was hard. But, I survived it. And now I'm learning to THRIVE. A little history. For the last four years, I have been dealing with knee pain. Most of it was in my right knee. For the first couple of years, I would get a cortisone shot and I was good. Usually last for at least a year. Then the cortisone wasn't working anymore. I had the rooster comb injections. They didn't work. So, after that, my doctor told me that I was bone on bone and needed a knee replacement. But for that four years, she kept saying - you're too fat, no surgeon will touch you at your weight. You have got to lose weight. That is always easier said than done. She always made me feel like I was failing at taking care of myself. For the last two years, I have been worki