Skip to main content

Road Trip

Ted dubbed our road trip "The Search for Stuckeys" months ago, when we decided that we were going to do a complete circle around Colorado.  The reason for that was because as kids, we both remembered the Stuckeys signs and never really being able to stop.  I remember going a couple of times, but was very young.  There was one down in Orem and we both remember seeing them across different places of the country.  When we searched, we were able to find ONE on our route.

WYOMING:  Our first night.  After getting our rental car, after some drama, we were on our way about 3:00 in the afternoon.  We stopped for dinner in Green River and were able to have dinner with a handsome railroader (my boy James Rodger).  Then on to Rawlins.  I killed a bunny right before we entered the city - so I was a bit traumatized by that.  It was our worst hotel of the whole trip - but, it worked.


NEBRASKA:  After waking up and realizing I left my hairbrushes home and sitting on the bathroom counter top, so - after a quick trip to the grocery store and a little tour around the town of Rawlins, we were on our way.  For the most part, we just drove, with a short stop in Sidney, Nebraska for lunch.  Once in Gothenburg, Nebraska, where we were staying, we headed to see the Pony Express museum.  It was a real Pony Express stop.  The woman there was amazing - she gave us all of the information on the Pony Express and talked to us.  We got there about three minutes before they closed and she let us stay and was great.  We had dinner at the Nebraska Barn and Grill - it was a wonderful little restaurant.  A short stop in the hot tub that night and then to bed to be ready for our very LOONG day the next day.

Pony Express rider saddle.  Has the pockets
on the side for the mail

Cut out of Pony Express rider 
Monument for Pony Express
KANSAS:  We didn't stay in Kansas, but we did spend a lot of time in Kansas.  This was a very long road day.  We were driving about twelve hours - or at least enroute to our final destination that long.  Our first stop was to go to Sterling, Kansas.  This was the birthplace of the smartest man in the world. He had never been back there since being a child.  As we were leaving to head back north, I noticed something in the road.  It was a snake, which I avoided running over.  I am not sure what that signified, but it was an interesting side note.  After stopping at Freddy's for a steak burger, that we ate on the road, we headed to Paxico, Kansas.  This is where we found the only Stuckey's.  We stopped and got some pecan rolls and some divinity and were back on the road - heading to Kansas City, Missouri for the night!

Back to his birthplace 
The Stuckey's sign - we found it


MISSOURI:  From Paxico, Kansas, we headed to Kansas City, Missouri.  We checked in the hotel and then headed to meet Ted's sister Susan and her husband Paul.  We had a nice dinner and conversation.  Very nice to see them, even if it was for just a short time.  Great time, even if Ted spilled his ice water and soaked Sue, me and the guy at the next table - OOPS!!  The next morning we got up and headed to Joplin.  It's about a two and a half hour drive.  We met up with Ted's mom, sister Mary and her husband Bill for lunch and then headed to my mother-in-laws home.  She just moved there last July; hence, the reason for going AROUND Colorado.  Ted said he didn't want to go to Colorado for at least a full year - because he had been going back and forth so much over the years.  It was nice to see her adjusting and adapting to her new home.  They've done so much to make it  her home.  She is having a hip replacement on Monday, and that is the reason we moved our trip up a week - which actually ended up being a good thing, or we would not have been able to go.  We did go to dinner for Cinco de Mayo at a local Mexican restaurant, then back to mom's house for dessert.  It was a very nice visit and it was nice to catch up.  Even if for such a short time.

Ted and his sister Mary

With their mother
ARKANSAS:  This was my favorite part of the journey, as far as seeing the sights.  After stopping in to say goodbye to Ted's mom, we were back on the road heading to Arkansas.  What a beautiful area!!  Love the Ozark area.  However, I don't think I'll ever get used to seeing dead armadillo road kill.  It was so beautiful and green - with beautiful rolling hills.  It's about a two and a half hour drive from Joplin to Fort Smith, Arkansas - our destination there.  We checked into our hotel and headed to meet up with Ted's brother Pat and his wife Marian.  I adore Marian, if we were closer together, I just feel that she and I would be the best of friends.  I've felt that connection with her from the moment I met her.  I love all of Ted's family.  We hopped into their car and it was off to lunch.  From there, we went to see some amazing sights.  They took us to Miss Laura's - it was a bordello that was around from the turn of the century.  From there, we went to Judge Parker's courthouse and the jail.  If you have ever seen True Grit, either one (the first one is best), you will recognize that name from the courthouse scene - Rooster Cogburn, "I aim to take him back to Fort Smith to Judge Parker and see him hanged from the neck until he's dead".  That may not be a totally accurate quote - but, it's what I remember.  When we walked into the jail area, it's almost chilling - you get a cold streak straight down the spine.  From there, we went to see the gallows where they would hang murderers and rapists.  We then went through the Veteran's Memorial cemetery.  I love cemeteries and feel a great peace when I'm there.  It was such a beautiful sight to see all the beautiful white headstones lined up.  We ended our day with dinner out with Pat, Marian and their kids, Erin, Scott and Kyle - and free pie!!

Arkansas River

Veteran's Cemetary

The Gallows

Judge Parker's Court

Ted and I

Ted and Pat in front of Miss Laura's Bordello

The toilet at Miss Laura's
loved the old chain pull, had
to take a picture!!

OKLAHOMA, TEXAS AND NEW MEXICO:  Now, our plan was to go from Fort Smith to Amarillo, Texas the next day.  However, right before we crossed the border from Missouri to Arkansas, my phone rang.  It was a job offer and I needed to start the next Monday.  We weren't even planning to be home until Monday night - so we had to change our plans from going to Amarillo, to Holbrook, Arizona to Phoenix, Arizona to Zion Park, Utah to two thirteen hour drives to make it home Thursday night so I could head in on Friday to get my new work badge, which I had to have on Monday to start. So, we woke up extremely early and pointed our rental toward Oklahoma.  Eastern Oklahoma was beautiful, it was an extension of Arkansas pretty.  Then toward the west, it got to be a bit barren.  We drove through to Amarillo, where we stopped and had lunch at Big Texas - it's the home of the 72 ounce steak.  If you eat the whole thing you get your meal for free - if you don't, it costs you $72.  When we got there, a guy was trying to eat it.  He didn't finish, but he did end up with a consolation t-shirt.  Just as we were leaving there, the wind started up pretty bad.  Major dust storms all the way through Albuquerque.  They weren't letting trucks go "passed" (that's what the road sign said) Albuquerque.  We were very happy to hit our hotel.  We headed to dinner at the Owl Cafe.  Ted ordered the chili rellenos - which is something he always loves.  He was pretty excited, as he said these rellenos were as good as what his mother made.  We went back to the hotel and pretty much straight to bed, because we had to go through this whole thing again the next day.



New Mexico side note:  This trip was dubbed "The Search for Stuckey's".  We had researched it and found that on our journey, there was only the one on our route.  So, we were a bit astonished, when two times in New Mexico, we found Stuckey's signs.  We started taking pictures and said we had to pull over and go to these Stuckey's too.  This is what we found:

Stuckey's #1 got a bit too hot, I guess

Stuckey's #2

Stuckey's #2 - guess they couldn't keep up
We were really surprise at how many gas stations
were closed up on our trip.

ARIZONA AND UTAH:  We just hit the tip of Arizona, in our effort to not go to Colorado.  In fact, the GPS said that it added an hour to our journey.  This was another thirteen hour drive.  It was pretty long.  We went through Bluff, Monticello and Moab, Utah.  It was beautiful to go through the red rock.  Then up through Highway 6 and home.  










Now, if I haven't bored you and haven't lost your attention, here are some more random pictures:


We never found the other sign



The Mary shrine

The End of the Trail.  It was a poignant
symbol to Ted as it was something important
to his dad.

I'm up here - he's down there

Pony Express museum

Handsome guy

Pony Express museum

How old ladies deal - sunglasses on the head
and reading glasses on the nose.

Couple selfie at 65 mph

Ted insisted we get this picture - he thought
it may have been a Stuckey's at some point
Well - not really - but it could have been

Something seems peculiar

Teepee picnic spot

Lone star in Texas

At least I know where to go - when I need to
go - - either for tornadoes or to pee

Nuff said

The Big Texan - 72 ounces of beef
can you do it???

Shiprock

In the bridge

This picture doesn't do it justice.  They were
pink.  The clouds were pink - just like
cotton candy.

It looks like a Sphynx.  Down by Moab.

It was an awesome trip.  We had a great time - even if there were some really long road days.  I was extremely sad to miss out on Phoenix and seeing my grandbabies and Randi and Joe.  But, we will get down there soon.  Ted and I travel extremely well together.  I may have had a cranky moment a time or two, but nothing too bad.  The rental car we had made my back hurt when I drove, I think it was just the way the seat was.  I look forward to the future when we can do other road trips.  We have talked about doing the east, doing the west, doing some other places.  I love travel - so let's go!!!  Tomorrow starts a whole new adventure for me.  A new job, a new life.  I haven't been a new employee in 32 years - but, I'm so excited to start this journey.

TOTAL MILEAGE:  3100 MILES

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Me!!

I turned 49 a year ago tomorrow.  I was all right with that.  I didn't really care.  But, about a couple of months after that, I realized that in less than a year I would be 50.  When my daughter turned 30, it really was a horrible feeling.  How could I have a 30-year-old daughter??  I am not old enough to have a 30-year-old daughter.  I also had to deal with my baby boy getting married last year - which made me feel like I really was getting older. I think it was after Crystal's birthday that I devised a plan.  I was going to take a couple of days off, I was going to get a hotel room - a hotel with a pool - and I was just going to hide out and ride it out.  I had it all figured out. Well, I decided that my kids might be a bit upset with me that I did this.  So, I went back to Plan B - I would do my usual and plan a "kids" birthday for me so that the entire family, including Zach and Chelsea, could have a good time.  I thought of going to Planet Play and setti

The Haunting

It's been a weird few days. I don't know what set me off. But, I've been thinking about Ted a lot. Mostly, I've been thinking about the night he died. And everything that happened that night. One of the girls I worked with lost her husband suddenly a couple of days ago. I'm not sure if that's what set me off - no, I'm pretty sure it is. So I've been going through old blog posts about our trips together. Looking at memories of our times together. We just had fun together and we just loved each other. Anyway, I've been reliving the night he died. Thinking about it pretty consistently. And the things that happened are truly haunting me. Like, how did he get where he was?? He and I had been sitting together and had literally just had an interaction. The interaction was, please sit back, you're blocking my view of the movie. And it was all done in hand gestures. But it was just so Ted. Completely and totally so Ted. Not even a few

First Date - - End of an Era!

It's no secret that Ted and I met on the internet. We jibbered and jabbered via Match.Com a few times and then he sent me his phone number. We won't go into details about what made me give him a call, other than I was in need of a boost. I gave him a call and he was "busy" for a bit working on his carbuerator (yes, I was shunned aside for a carbuerator) and he asked if he could call me back later. Well, he did call me later that night and we made arrangements to meet at Denny's on 3500 South and 2200 West the next afternoon. No, it wasn't a four-star restaurant, but it was a way for either of us to run or make excuses if things were not going well. We sat there for a few hours; I drank Diet Coke and Ted drank Iced Tea. We talked, mostly Ted talked, about stuff I had absolutely no clue about; I tease him a lot about everything he says pretty much floats above my head, because I have no idea what he is talking about. That was October 10, 2004. After a w