Skip to main content

Patches - My kids should only read this if they are ready to!!!

My Little Old Lady
Back in 1993, my kids were still younger.  Raja was 7, KayeLynn 9 and Crystal was 12.  That spring, KayeLynn had been diagnosed with a relapse with leukemia and it was centralized in her central nervous system fluid.  She went into a deep depression and she was incredibly sad.  She knew she was in for a long haul of chemotherapy and radiation treatments.  All she wanted was a kitty.  I had given up on cats as they made me a bit crazy and we hadn't had much luck.  But, this little bald girl just wanted a kitten.  We ended up with two - a black one named Midnight and a white one named Snowball.   KayeLynn, who was being home schooled during the worst part of her treatment, would dress these two kitties up, put them in her doll stroller and cart them around.  The kids loved their kitties.

Just before Christmas that year, the kitties were outside.  When the kids let them in the front door, I just heard all this giggling and laughing.  Following these two kitties was the cutest little patchwork cat around.  Just teeny tiny and sweet.  No idea where she came from and nobody claimed to know where she belonged.  She became a part of our family.  She had two kittens during that time.  We had five freaking cats - the person that was never going to have cats again now had FIVE cats!!!  But, I have to say, if any of them were my favorite, it was the little calico kitty that just walked in my front door one winter morning - Patches.

Pretty much everyone in the house had become her human at one time or the other.  Usually the kids were her humans.  When KayeLynn moved up to school last year, I became her human.  At times it made me absolutely NUTS!!!  She wanted to be right on top of me at time.  I would be on the computer, spending my time like I like to and she would want to sit right on top of my arms.  Completely trapping me in my spot.  I would get frustrated at times, at times I loved the extra attention.

At nearly 19 years old, she was really quite active and doing good.  She wasn't running and chasing, but she had no problems climbing up and down the stairs.  A couple of years ago, her one eye started fogging over and you could see that she had become blind in it - we would tease that she was blind in one eye and couldn't see out of the other and couldn't hear a damned thing.  She would be right there waiting every morning when  Ted or I would walk out of the bedroom saying "FEED ME!!".    Ted, who is the most non-pet friendly person I know, would go feed her every morning if I wasn't there to do it.  He would worry about her and watch after her.  When I was out of town and he was home alone with her, he was sure she was fed and watered and took care of her - just as long as she didn't jump on him or climb on him - life was good.

The last couple of weeks, she started slowing down immensely.  She started bloating up quite a bit, but, when I touched her belly, she didn't act like it hurt.  I knew the time was coming, but as long as she wasn't in pain and she was able to get around, I wasn't going to rush it.  I tried to prepare the kids as best as possible, KayeLynn is always the very sensitive girl, really wasn't able to face it - the other two were ok and preparing for the day I would have to tell them.

This morning, Ted came in and said she was on the couch.  I looked at her and knew the time was here.  The vet I had used in the past had moved, so I had to google.  I found an animal hospital close by and called and made the appointment.  I knew I couldn't put her in a pet carrier, so I put her blanket in a box and put her on top of it.  When I picked her up, I knew I was making the right choice.  She couldn't get herself up and moving to the litter box, so she was laying in her own urine - in the matter of a day she had declined that much.  I finally got through to KayeLynn and broke the news.  She was standing at the shuttle stop at the University and sobbing her little eyes out.  Her last kitty was going to be gone.

We headed our way to Hunter Animal Hospital and I was bound and determined to keep stoic and strong.   After filling out the paperwork and looking over at this sweet little face, this face that was still very obviously mentally active, and I just started to bawl.  I tried to keep it strong, but, it didn't work.  When they took me back to a room and I picked her up and held her while I waited for them to come send her to a better world.   I cried and cried and I held her while they injected her to relieve her from the worldly pain that she had started to experience.

All of my kids know now.  They have accepted it.  I have accepted it.  But, the memories are still there and the sadness will continue for a long time.  The sweetest kitty in the land has moved on.

Comments

  1. Aww man. I just put my makeup on. So sad. RIP Patches, I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will miss patches, especially sitting there having her purring on my lap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sitting at my desk at work trying to hide the tears streaming down my cheeks. I have had to hold a sick kitty in my arms while the injection put an end to her pain. Four little paws can bring so much love and companionship to a family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sitting at my desk at work trying to hide the tears streaming down my cheeks. I have had to hold a sick kitty in my arms while the injection put an end to her pain. Four little paws can bring so much love and companionship to a family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry. It is so hard to lose a pet that has been a huge part of life for so long. Unfortunately when we adopt our fury family we usually know they wont be with us near long enough. Hugs to all of you and sorry for your loss!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry missy, it is so hard to make that decision.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Me!!

I turned 49 a year ago tomorrow.  I was all right with that.  I didn't really care.  But, about a couple of months after that, I realized that in less than a year I would be 50.  When my daughter turned 30, it really was a horrible feeling.  How could I have a 30-year-old daughter??  I am not old enough to have a 30-year-old daughter.  I also had to deal with my baby boy getting married last year - which made me feel like I really was getting older. I think it was after Crystal's birthday that I devised a plan.  I was going to take a couple of days off, I was going to get a hotel room - a hotel with a pool - and I was just going to hide out and ride it out.  I had it all figured out. Well, I decided that my kids might be a bit upset with me that I did this.  So, I went back to Plan B - I would do my usual and plan a "kids" birthday for me so that the entire family, including Zach and Chelsea, could have a good time.  I thought of going to Planet Play and setti

The Haunting

It's been a weird few days. I don't know what set me off. But, I've been thinking about Ted a lot. Mostly, I've been thinking about the night he died. And everything that happened that night. One of the girls I worked with lost her husband suddenly a couple of days ago. I'm not sure if that's what set me off - no, I'm pretty sure it is. So I've been going through old blog posts about our trips together. Looking at memories of our times together. We just had fun together and we just loved each other. Anyway, I've been reliving the night he died. Thinking about it pretty consistently. And the things that happened are truly haunting me. Like, how did he get where he was?? He and I had been sitting together and had literally just had an interaction. The interaction was, please sit back, you're blocking my view of the movie. And it was all done in hand gestures. But it was just so Ted. Completely and totally so Ted. Not even a few

First Date - - End of an Era!

It's no secret that Ted and I met on the internet. We jibbered and jabbered via Match.Com a few times and then he sent me his phone number. We won't go into details about what made me give him a call, other than I was in need of a boost. I gave him a call and he was "busy" for a bit working on his carbuerator (yes, I was shunned aside for a carbuerator) and he asked if he could call me back later. Well, he did call me later that night and we made arrangements to meet at Denny's on 3500 South and 2200 West the next afternoon. No, it wasn't a four-star restaurant, but it was a way for either of us to run or make excuses if things were not going well. We sat there for a few hours; I drank Diet Coke and Ted drank Iced Tea. We talked, mostly Ted talked, about stuff I had absolutely no clue about; I tease him a lot about everything he says pretty much floats above my head, because I have no idea what he is talking about. That was October 10, 2004. After a w