Skip to main content

Reflections

Yesterday, was pretty much a normal day around my house. Other than taking a little time to decorate a couple of graves, I just did what I usually do.  I did take a little time to reflect on something a couple of time - something that makes me sad - something that breaks my heart.

It was someone's birthday yesterday.  Someone that until a few years ago had been in my life since before her very first birthday.  I remember spending her first birthday with her - it was a couple of months before her dad and I got married.  She had every advantage a kid could have coming from a home that broke.  More than the girl that was her older sister. She always got two of everything; two birthdays, two Christmas's. She was adored by both of her parents.  Two different stepparents that wanted to be in her life.  She went through normal phases - when she didn't like her dad, when she didn't like her mom.  Rebellion - a huge amount of rebellion.

But, for some reason, there was something else.  Something in her that caused her to lie pathologically.  Hurtful, hateful lies.  Not little white lies, but HUGE and horrible lies.  You literally didn't know what to believe  when she told you something.  It was very difficult to deal with and unfortunately we usually chose to say, "oh, that's just how she is".   She would "run away" with a new group, with a new crowd and we would always welcome her back with trepidation with wariness - but, there was usually a huge elephant in the room whenever she was around.  That older sister that ALWAYS wanted to give the benefit of the doubt, that always wanted to give the second chance was usually the catalyst of letting her back into our lives; the one that would go pick her up every morning to take her to work, even though she was huge pregnant and miserable, the one that would give her a place to stay when she needed one for a night or two.

Unfortunately, this last estrangement was probably the straw that broke the camels back.  It was the final straw.  Each one of her sisters and her brother chose that they were done.  I knew that it was a hard decision for them - it was a hard decision for me, too.  It's not easy to cut someone from your life - especially when they are one of your kids.  When you do it, it has to be because the harm that person causes in your life outshines any possibility of them being in your life.  I can't have someone that tells such grievous lies about people to actually have that kind of contact with my grandchildren - who knows what they would be told?

I do hope that she is doing well in her new life.  I hope she is happy.  I hope she has received some help.  I hope she has changed her ways.  I hope she had a happy birthday.

Comments

  1. That was a really great post. I'm not sure what to say except I <3 you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Me!!

I turned 49 a year ago tomorrow.  I was all right with that.  I didn't really care.  But, about a couple of months after that, I realized that in less than a year I would be 50.  When my daughter turned 30, it really was a horrible feeling.  How could I have a 30-year-old daughter??  I am not old enough to have a 30-year-old daughter.  I also had to deal with my baby boy getting married last year - which made me feel like I really was getting older. I think it was after Crystal's birthday that I devised a plan.  I was going to take a couple of days off, I was going to get a hotel room - a hotel with a pool - and I was just going to hide out and ride it out.  I had it all figured out. Well, I decided that my kids might be a bit upset with me that I did this.  So, I went back to Plan B - I would do my usual and plan a "kids" birthday for me so that the entire family, including Zach and Chelsea, could have a good time.  I thought of going to Planet Play and setti

The Haunting

It's been a weird few days. I don't know what set me off. But, I've been thinking about Ted a lot. Mostly, I've been thinking about the night he died. And everything that happened that night. One of the girls I worked with lost her husband suddenly a couple of days ago. I'm not sure if that's what set me off - no, I'm pretty sure it is. So I've been going through old blog posts about our trips together. Looking at memories of our times together. We just had fun together and we just loved each other. Anyway, I've been reliving the night he died. Thinking about it pretty consistently. And the things that happened are truly haunting me. Like, how did he get where he was?? He and I had been sitting together and had literally just had an interaction. The interaction was, please sit back, you're blocking my view of the movie. And it was all done in hand gestures. But it was just so Ted. Completely and totally so Ted. Not even a few

Adios, Au Revoir, Goodbye....

So, tonight is my last night on the graveyard shift. It's been fun the days I've worked. I have to say, I really enjoy these up-all-nighters immensely. They are on the complete opposite spectrum of the "normal" people. Here are some final notes on my time here: Marla, Corey, Cheryl, Betsy, Nicole, Doug, Cortney, Angie, Natalie, Nathan, Amber, Jessica, Cliff, Leslie: STOP BEING SO DANG QUIET!!! I am not used to hearing NOTHING!!! I am used to people calling me constantly, I am used to having things to do, I am used to not sitting around and doing nothing!!! I have done nothing for an entire month - and my BUTT HURTS!!! My butt hurts from sitting in this chair and staring at the computer for TWELVE HOURS CONSTANTLY!! However, on the up side - I have completely loved being with you this month!! Watching Nicole's face in lineup when Diane is there is priceless. Nathan's litte quips and comments are hilarious. Cortney and his "touche" comment