Skip to main content

Us Versus Them

I was reading on Facebook today and there was this post by someone I work with about how horrible the working conditions are.  I agree, things have been horrible, I have stated it myself.  We are going through a lot of change - upheaval - and there is no end in sight.  We didn't ask for it - we didn't want to do it - but, guess what, things change and things happen and we have no control over it.  We have made our opinions known and whether or not they were taken into consideration, I don't know - all I know is, decisions were made and I have no choice but to do what my employer wants me to do. If I don't, I am guessing they won't want me working there anymore and would fire me - it's that simple - it's what happens in the real world.  We go to our place of employment to work for a "company".  The "company" has rules.  The "company" has policies.  The "company" has standard operating procedures.  I have no choice but to do what my "company" requires me to do in the time my "company" requires me to be there and on the job.  It's that way where I work - and I am sure that it's at every other "company" out there in the world.  You have a job, you are expected to do your job during the time you are there.

However, this certain post kept talking about us and them, we and they.  About how "they" had done this.  About how "they" had done that.  It really started to break my heart. It hurt me deeply.  Because I am one of "them".  I am one of "them" that has made their lives miserable.

What they don't know, what they don't realize is that we didn't do it because we wanted to do it.  The "company" has made decisions and now it's up to us to put it into practice.  Once the decision is made, we can do nothing except what the "company" requires us to do.  My boss has made herself sick fighting, fighting everyday for the people who call us "them" and blame us for everything from the hours they work to the color of the walls to the temperature of the room.  My stomach is in constant upheaval, I am sick, I am nauseated, I am under stress - all from fighting and working to make things happen that I am required to make happen - whether I agree with them or not.

I used to think the fighting was worth it - I have what I believe to be ulcers from the stress of it, mostly work, fighting for people who call me "them".  Maybe it isn't worth it anymore.

Comments

  1. I'm sorry, if it helps I am one of "them" and I know how you feel. If only the floor knew the truth but it will never happen. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me, sometimes fighting for them doesn't mean it's actually "for" them. Sometimes you have to fight for them for YOU. I've been written up before (a long time ago) for fighting for my people and they never knew it - even to this day. But I knew it, and I was at peace knowing I had tried. It took a long time, but finally I realized that sometimes that will have to be enough. And by 'enough', I mean you will never have to look back knowing you didn't do all you could, you can look back and say, "Well they might hate me, but I did absolutely everything I could do."


    **Yeah, this is me being all positive today . . . check me tomorrow & Pessimistic Me (aka the real me) will probably be back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The post you talk about is not mine, because #1..I have yet to post about this and #2 I for one know who is fighting the good fight and it's you two & several others on our floor. Just seems like the higher up you go in an elevator, the thinner the air gets.
    I know you have my back & I for one appreciate EVERYTHING you all do. So when you say "Us vs Them".....I consider you all an "us".
    **HUGS**

    ReplyDelete
  4. Would you accept a much less enjoyable job paying twice what you make now? NO..I'm not inviting you to participate in a pyramid scheme, but that was a question I had to answer for an end of term paper in college. I don't remember most of the other 99 questions, but that one stuck in my head.

    I don't envy the position you're in. Fact of the matter is that I can't think of anyone that works or has worked at your place of business and heard them say, "I love(d) working there!" Usually it's similar to "I love my job, but not that place."
    What's worse is that many administrators completely disregard the moral of those working with, not for, them. It's a mindset and they have no desire to change it. I'll shit a brick sideways the day I see that corporation on a "best places to work list." Sorry, I don't have anything encouraging to say, but that I know you & that you do care about those you work with and that's all that matters at the end of the day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Me!!

I turned 49 a year ago tomorrow.  I was all right with that.  I didn't really care.  But, about a couple of months after that, I realized that in less than a year I would be 50.  When my daughter turned 30, it really was a horrible feeling.  How could I have a 30-year-old daughter??  I am not old enough to have a 30-year-old daughter.  I also had to deal with my baby boy getting married last year - which made me feel like I really was getting older. I think it was after Crystal's birthday that I devised a plan.  I was going to take a couple of days off, I was going to get a hotel room - a hotel with a pool - and I was just going to hide out and ride it out.  I had it all figured out. Well, I decided that my kids might be a bit upset with me that I did this.  So, I went back to Plan B - I would do my usual and plan a "kids" birthday for me so that the entire family, including Zach and Chelsea, could have a good time.  I thought of going to Planet Play and setti

The Haunting

It's been a weird few days. I don't know what set me off. But, I've been thinking about Ted a lot. Mostly, I've been thinking about the night he died. And everything that happened that night. One of the girls I worked with lost her husband suddenly a couple of days ago. I'm not sure if that's what set me off - no, I'm pretty sure it is. So I've been going through old blog posts about our trips together. Looking at memories of our times together. We just had fun together and we just loved each other. Anyway, I've been reliving the night he died. Thinking about it pretty consistently. And the things that happened are truly haunting me. Like, how did he get where he was?? He and I had been sitting together and had literally just had an interaction. The interaction was, please sit back, you're blocking my view of the movie. And it was all done in hand gestures. But it was just so Ted. Completely and totally so Ted. Not even a few

First Date - - End of an Era!

It's no secret that Ted and I met on the internet. We jibbered and jabbered via Match.Com a few times and then he sent me his phone number. We won't go into details about what made me give him a call, other than I was in need of a boost. I gave him a call and he was "busy" for a bit working on his carbuerator (yes, I was shunned aside for a carbuerator) and he asked if he could call me back later. Well, he did call me later that night and we made arrangements to meet at Denny's on 3500 South and 2200 West the next afternoon. No, it wasn't a four-star restaurant, but it was a way for either of us to run or make excuses if things were not going well. We sat there for a few hours; I drank Diet Coke and Ted drank Iced Tea. We talked, mostly Ted talked, about stuff I had absolutely no clue about; I tease him a lot about everything he says pretty much floats above my head, because I have no idea what he is talking about. That was October 10, 2004. After a w