Skip to main content

Catharsis

Yes, big word for me. But, after playing and writing in my blog for just about a year now, I have really discovered how cathartic it really is for me. Writing in general is. Even a post in facebook is, now and then; my stupid aging posts, an occassional rant. It really is therapy for me.

I may laugh at myself and think I am witty, but, it's my therapy. I may cry at things and find them sad, but, it's my therapy. I may rant at things and get angry, but it's my therapy.

I'm not great at confrontation at all, (well, except for poor Ted who gets the brunt of it mostly) so this is the way I get some of the words I want to say out. I'm not great at debating or arguing, my idea of an argument is stomping my feet to get my way. I can have a conversation and can be a good listener, but, I'm not great at thinking of interesting things to say on the fly.

I sit and listen to things my grandkids say or the things I am told they've said and really wish I would have had this therapy a long time ago, when my kids were little. I don't remember a lot of things they said or did while growing up. I remember Crystal getting in my makeup (think someone else has done that a time or two now) and wearing her grandpa's boots at the age of two. I remember finding a four-day-old KayeLynn on the floor because 3-year-old Crystal carried her across the room and could only get her half way because she was trying to help mama out by bringing her to me for her bath. I remember KayeLynn slapping at Rodger in the hospital as we were bringing him home for the first time because he was crying because of his first time in a car seat and yelling at him, "shut up baby". I remember when she was in the hospital for the very first time, just diagnosed with leukemia and when her aunt walked in the door, looked at her and asked, "you didn't bring me a present?" I remember Rodger standing outside on the swing set, singing at the top of his lungs, "I Want Your Sex" at the age of about six. I remember Rodger sitting down in the family room, playing video games and knowing he shouldn't swear and when he got frustrated he yelled at the television, "Jean Claude van Dam It!" or when talking in his sleep and saying "kiss me, kiss me on the lips".

What I wouldn't give to be able to have written all these things and so many more down when they were little. So many memories forgotten through age, through months, through years. There is nothing more important to me than my family. I really wish I had kept track of all the things they said, all the things they did. Kept track of the little stories and such. Because now, I don't remember them like I want to.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Me!!

I turned 49 a year ago tomorrow.  I was all right with that.  I didn't really care.  But, about a couple of months after that, I realized that in less than a year I would be 50.  When my daughter turned 30, it really was a horrible feeling.  How could I have a 30-year-old daughter??  I am not old enough to have a 30-year-old daughter.  I also had to deal with my baby boy getting married last year - which made me feel like I really was getting older. I think it was after Crystal's birthday that I devised a plan.  I was going to take a couple of days off, I was going to get a hotel room - a hotel with a pool - and I was just going to hide out and ride it out.  I had it all figured out. Well, I decided that my kids might be a bit upset with me that I did this.  So, I went back to Plan B - I would do my usual and plan a "kids" birthday for me so that the entire family, including Zach and Chelsea, could have a good time.  I thought of going to Planet Play and setti

The Haunting

It's been a weird few days. I don't know what set me off. But, I've been thinking about Ted a lot. Mostly, I've been thinking about the night he died. And everything that happened that night. One of the girls I worked with lost her husband suddenly a couple of days ago. I'm not sure if that's what set me off - no, I'm pretty sure it is. So I've been going through old blog posts about our trips together. Looking at memories of our times together. We just had fun together and we just loved each other. Anyway, I've been reliving the night he died. Thinking about it pretty consistently. And the things that happened are truly haunting me. Like, how did he get where he was?? He and I had been sitting together and had literally just had an interaction. The interaction was, please sit back, you're blocking my view of the movie. And it was all done in hand gestures. But it was just so Ted. Completely and totally so Ted. Not even a few

First Date - - End of an Era!

It's no secret that Ted and I met on the internet. We jibbered and jabbered via Match.Com a few times and then he sent me his phone number. We won't go into details about what made me give him a call, other than I was in need of a boost. I gave him a call and he was "busy" for a bit working on his carbuerator (yes, I was shunned aside for a carbuerator) and he asked if he could call me back later. Well, he did call me later that night and we made arrangements to meet at Denny's on 3500 South and 2200 West the next afternoon. No, it wasn't a four-star restaurant, but it was a way for either of us to run or make excuses if things were not going well. We sat there for a few hours; I drank Diet Coke and Ted drank Iced Tea. We talked, mostly Ted talked, about stuff I had absolutely no clue about; I tease him a lot about everything he says pretty much floats above my head, because I have no idea what he is talking about. That was October 10, 2004. After a w