Skip to main content

The Ted and Colleen Story

Our time in NewYork.  We got engaged there.  He couldn't
even keep that a secret, he said to me before we left, "you
know I'm going to propose to you there, right?"
Last night we went to Ted's Civil Air Patrol Christmas Party.  I had a lot of memories flood back yesterday, as it was ten years ago at that very party that I decided that this was a man I could really love and spend more time with - maybe even spend my life with.

When my kids dad died, I found myself single.  I grew to love my single life.  I didn't have to answer to anyone - other than to tell my kids I'll be here or I'll be there.  My kids were my world and we enjoyed doing a lot of things together.  I had a lot of people telling me that I needed to move on - what they didn't realize was that I had moved on - and I enjoyed my new single lifestyle.

Unfortunately, in the meantime, I had been dating someone from my past and really stuck as to why this relationship was not the same as it was when I was in high school.  I kept trying to make it in my mind what I thought it should be and it just never was that - EVER.  It was a horrible mistake that was finally disintegrating.
Crystal and Brandon's wedding.  He was father of the
bride even then.  

By moving on, and meeting possible relationships, my friends meant I needed to go online and try online dating.  So, I finally went on Match.com and made a profile.  I chatted and met a couple of guys.  I went on a date with another guy from my past and decided then and there that wasn't going to happen.  Then came Ted.  He sent me a message and left his phone number.  I really wasn't sure about it - but, I decided to jump with both feet in and made the call.  When he answered, he said he was busy working on a carburetor and would call me back.  What the heck!

Ted and my beginning was quite tenuous. Our first meeting was in October.  I really did not like Ted when I first met him.  Not that I didn't like him - I didn't get him and I really didn't want a relationship with him. Our first meeting was to just meet up for "coffee" at a Denny's that was close to both of our locations.  We spent two hours together.  I didn't understand most of what he was talking
Our wedding.
about.  I didn't get him.  He would talk about radios, telephones, technology, and other geek speak and I was completely lost.  The words that were coming out of his mouth were floating well above my head.  They still do, but, I've learned that most of the time he says what I need to hear in the first couple of minutes when he starts gabbing about technology.  I block out the rest after that because I literally don't understand.  I finally made my excuses and headed home - going, what the heck??  I don't get this guy!!

My BFF, who remembers to this day and reminds Ted of it, said I needed to give him another chance if he offered.  Ted invited me to a movie the next weekend.  He said he would see what was playing at the "dollars".  Again I was saying to myself, "what the heck, don't I rate a full price movie?"  But, I agreed to go.  In the meantime, something that Ted doesn't know, the disintegrating relationship, someone I hadn't seen in a couple of months, reared his head and said he didn't want me dating anyone else.  I canceled on Ted.

When the disintegrating relationship was finally done, Ted and I went out again.  We went to that stupid dollar movie and breakfast.  This was now November.  I still wasn't feeling it.  Ted was awesome throughout this.  He would call me, he would ask me out.  Most of the time I made excuses.
In Hawaii.

What changed it??  I joke that I married my stalker.  Whenever I got online, Ted would see me on MSN messenger and start messaging me.  We started having conversations that didn't include geek speak.  He started to listen to me and ask about me.  I started to hear about him.  We spent a lot of time just chatting - online.  I started to really enjoy our conversations together.  We went out again and from that time we were pretty much inseparable.

It was December.  It was time for Ted's Civil Air Patrol banquet.  He asked me to be his date.  I was nervous about it.  We hadn't really spent any time in the others circles.    People were so grateful to Ted and the time he was spending there.  They truly appreciated him.  I was riveted by that.  I started to fall in love with the geeky part of Ted.  That part that made me crazy was adored by others.  I started to understand him better that night.

At the top of the Eiffel Tower
After that, he spent Christmas with us.  With my family.  Completely immersed in our crazy life.

We've been together for ten years now.  He can still make me crazy.  There were a couple of times that I didn't think we would make it.  Those were mostly in the early years.  Now we are a very comfortable old couple that enjoys being together.  I'm glad I finally started to listen.  I love that crazy geek that I married.  He's an amazing man, husband, dad, Papa and friend.




Pretty much the story of us.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Me!!

I turned 49 a year ago tomorrow.  I was all right with that.  I didn't really care.  But, about a couple of months after that, I realized that in less than a year I would be 50.  When my daughter turned 30, it really was a horrible feeling.  How could I have a 30-year-old daughter??  I am not old enough to have a 30-year-old daughter.  I also had to deal with my baby boy getting married last year - which made me feel like I really was getting older. I think it was after Crystal's birthday that I devised a plan.  I was going to take a couple of days off, I was going to get a hotel room - a hotel with a pool - and I was just going to hide out and ride it out.  I had it all figured out. Well, I decided that my kids might be a bit upset with me that I did this.  So, I went back to Plan B - I would do my usual and plan a "kids" birthday for me so that the entire family, including Zach and Chelsea, could have a good time.  I thought of going to Planet Play and setti

The Haunting

It's been a weird few days. I don't know what set me off. But, I've been thinking about Ted a lot. Mostly, I've been thinking about the night he died. And everything that happened that night. One of the girls I worked with lost her husband suddenly a couple of days ago. I'm not sure if that's what set me off - no, I'm pretty sure it is. So I've been going through old blog posts about our trips together. Looking at memories of our times together. We just had fun together and we just loved each other. Anyway, I've been reliving the night he died. Thinking about it pretty consistently. And the things that happened are truly haunting me. Like, how did he get where he was?? He and I had been sitting together and had literally just had an interaction. The interaction was, please sit back, you're blocking my view of the movie. And it was all done in hand gestures. But it was just so Ted. Completely and totally so Ted. Not even a few

First Date - - End of an Era!

It's no secret that Ted and I met on the internet. We jibbered and jabbered via Match.Com a few times and then he sent me his phone number. We won't go into details about what made me give him a call, other than I was in need of a boost. I gave him a call and he was "busy" for a bit working on his carbuerator (yes, I was shunned aside for a carbuerator) and he asked if he could call me back later. Well, he did call me later that night and we made arrangements to meet at Denny's on 3500 South and 2200 West the next afternoon. No, it wasn't a four-star restaurant, but it was a way for either of us to run or make excuses if things were not going well. We sat there for a few hours; I drank Diet Coke and Ted drank Iced Tea. We talked, mostly Ted talked, about stuff I had absolutely no clue about; I tease him a lot about everything he says pretty much floats above my head, because I have no idea what he is talking about. That was October 10, 2004. After a w