Skip to main content

When Memories Hit Hard

My mom is 86 years old.  She doesn't get around like she used to.  Her memory is fading and she is getting forgetful.

She had asked me to take her to a party that she enjoys going to.  Her friends up in Heber, Utah have a party every September, where they play old country songs and have a sing along.  It's not really my thing, but, I want her to have days where she enjoys herself.  Ted came along.  It was frustrating as we got closer to the party, as she always forgets where the turn off is. After driving around for a bit, and a phone call, we finally found our way.  By that point, my nerves were a little on edge - I was already a bit cranky before the journey even started.

We finally got her settled into her party.  Ted and I took a seat outside in the beautiful scenery by the mountains.  The idea of being in that little room had my claustrophobia on high alert.  I took a walk around the yard for a bit, to try and calm my nerves - and that's when it struck me.  The song that they were singing was an old country classic.  It's called, I Want to Go Home.   When I was a kid, we went camping and fishing every weekend during the summer.  I mean EVERY weekend.  My mom and dad would get home from work on Friday afternoon, we would load up the camper and hook up the boat, we would meet up with my aunt and uncle and then head to a reservoir somewhere and camp and fish.

The hours on the boat, for a young girl of nine or ten, would be never ending.  Because of my age, I had to wear a life jacket.  They were these orange life jackets that were hugely puffed out.  My chin would rub on the fabric and irritate it.  It was hot and miserable usually.  I generally would end up crawling up under the nose of the boat and going to sleep because I got so bored with fishing.  I would eventually get whiney and want to "go home" or back to camp.  That's when my dad would start to tease me and sing the song:

I want to go home, I want to go home.
Oh Lord, I want to go home.
Last night I went to sleep in Detroit City.
And I dreamed about those cotton fields back home
I dreamed about my mama,
dear old papa, my sister and brother.
And I dreamed about that girl
whose been waitin' so long.
I want to go home, I want to go home,
Oh Lord I want to go home.

The song is longer than that, that's just the beginning of it.  But when I heard them playing the music and singing the song, I was so suddenly struck by the memory.  The memory of my dad singing the song in the boat so many years ago.   Standing there in that back yard, tears streaming down my face, Ted wondering why I'm bawling and having a hard time to make the words come out to explain why I am suddenly in tears.

What I wouldn't give to have a moment, back in that old camper, back in that old boat, sitting in my  horrible old orange life jacket to hear my daddy singing to me again, I want to go home, I want to go home, oh Lord I want to go home.


Comments

  1. We all hope to see him again someday. Families can be together forever!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Me!!

I turned 49 a year ago tomorrow.  I was all right with that.  I didn't really care.  But, about a couple of months after that, I realized that in less than a year I would be 50.  When my daughter turned 30, it really was a horrible feeling.  How could I have a 30-year-old daughter??  I am not old enough to have a 30-year-old daughter.  I also had to deal with my baby boy getting married last year - which made me feel like I really was getting older. I think it was after Crystal's birthday that I devised a plan.  I was going to take a couple of days off, I was going to get a hotel room - a hotel with a pool - and I was just going to hide out and ride it out.  I had it all figured out. Well, I decided that my kids might be a bit upset with me that I did this.  So, I went back to Plan B - I would do my usual and plan a "kids" birthday for me so that the entire family, including Zach and Chelsea, could have a good time.  I thought of going to Planet Play and setti

The Haunting

It's been a weird few days. I don't know what set me off. But, I've been thinking about Ted a lot. Mostly, I've been thinking about the night he died. And everything that happened that night. One of the girls I worked with lost her husband suddenly a couple of days ago. I'm not sure if that's what set me off - no, I'm pretty sure it is. So I've been going through old blog posts about our trips together. Looking at memories of our times together. We just had fun together and we just loved each other. Anyway, I've been reliving the night he died. Thinking about it pretty consistently. And the things that happened are truly haunting me. Like, how did he get where he was?? He and I had been sitting together and had literally just had an interaction. The interaction was, please sit back, you're blocking my view of the movie. And it was all done in hand gestures. But it was just so Ted. Completely and totally so Ted. Not even a few

365 Days - The Story of a Year

This last year has been the hardest one of my life. And I've had a lot of hard years in my lifetime. But this year involved the health of me and I'm being a little selfish about thinking about just me. But it was hard. But, I survived it. And now I'm learning to THRIVE. A little history. For the last four years, I have been dealing with knee pain. Most of it was in my right knee. For the first couple of years, I would get a cortisone shot and I was good. Usually last for at least a year. Then the cortisone wasn't working anymore. I had the rooster comb injections. They didn't work. So, after that, my doctor told me that I was bone on bone and needed a knee replacement. But for that four years, she kept saying - you're too fat, no surgeon will touch you at your weight. You have got to lose weight. That is always easier said than done. She always made me feel like I was failing at taking care of myself. For the last two years, I have been worki