Skip to main content

Odd Feeling of Loss


So, a woman died this last week. This was a woman who was very important to me about thirty something years ago. She was my best friend in junior high and a lot of high school. We went through a lot of things together during those years and we were together more than we weren't. I was there the day her dad told her he thought her mom was having an affair (why would you do that to a kid?). I was there when her parents divorced. We went through a lot together. We had our first boyfriends at the same time. We had our first jobs together at Dee's Drive In. We were in Pep Club together. We skipped a lot of classes together. We went to the prom and other dances together. Her name was Annette Lemmon during those growing up years.

Both of our high school boyfriends joined the military. Mine joined the Army and hers joined the Coast Guard. We were both in our junior year when they left. She dropped out of high school and married her boyfriend. I was the maid of honor in her small wedding at the groom's house. Her mother refused to go. Her father gave her away. Things were never really the same with us after that. She was only married to him for like four or six months. But, I had moved on (I had broke up with my boyfriend and was dating other) and things were too different for her - she couldn't go back to high school after that.

We really lost touch. Our touchstone was Rayna. We both always knew how to get in touch with Rayna, so every once in a while Rayna would hear from Annette and let me know what was going on. Annette had a very colorful life. She had five kids. One died like three hours after she was born. The oldest two had one father, the rest had different fathers. I think she was married four or five times.

Apparently she finally found happiness with her most current husband. He was seven years younger than her. They didn't have any children together.

Out of the blue, about two years ago, she reached out to me. She sent me an email through Classmates.com. She told me about her husband, about her children, about her grandchildren, about having back surgery and living in pain, about completing a medical assistant course. We sent a couple of emails back and forth. The last one I sent went unread, was never answered. She was now going by Cynthia Small (it was her first name, she always had gone by her middle name). I never would have known it was her obituary if she hadn't sent me those emails, because of the different name. I was actually kind of hoping we would re-connect, because I was really quite curious about what she had done, since she had lived such an odd life. But, it wasn't to be and now it can never be.

She died last week. Apparently she went to sleep and never woke up.

It's so odd that someone that can consume your life for so many years can just disappear and you just don't have a clue as to what they are doing. So odd. So odd to look at an obituary and say, "I KNOW HER!!" I kind of had a freak out that night. I just felt this odd sense of loss - kind of a disconnect from reality - this strange feeling of leaving something undone. I still have that feeling somewhat. Our touchstone, Rayna, kind of helped me out that night. I kept texting her and unloading on her. She finally called me and talked to me and talked me down a bit.

I felt kind of sad that I was unable to attend her funeral. I had a prior committment that kept me from going. Rayna went - still being the touchstone. She filled me in on the goings on. Apparently the service was almost as odd as her life. That's all right - nothing wrong with being odd and different, I guess.

Comments

  1. I know the feeling....and I also think you're right about how someone can consume so much of your life and then just disappear. It's incredibly sad if you really think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry. One does wonder how we can be so close to someone all through your young life & then it comes to just hearing from them with a Christmas card once a year if your lucky.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Birthday Me!!

I turned 49 a year ago tomorrow.  I was all right with that.  I didn't really care.  But, about a couple of months after that, I realized that in less than a year I would be 50.  When my daughter turned 30, it really was a horrible feeling.  How could I have a 30-year-old daughter??  I am not old enough to have a 30-year-old daughter.  I also had to deal with my baby boy getting married last year - which made me feel like I really was getting older. I think it was after Crystal's birthday that I devised a plan.  I was going to take a couple of days off, I was going to get a hotel room - a hotel with a pool - and I was just going to hide out and ride it out.  I had it all figured out. Well, I decided that my kids might be a bit upset with me that I did this.  So, I went back to Plan B - I would do my usual and plan a "kids" birthday for me so that the entire family, including Zach and Chelsea, could have a good time.  I thought of going to Planet Play and setti

The Haunting

It's been a weird few days. I don't know what set me off. But, I've been thinking about Ted a lot. Mostly, I've been thinking about the night he died. And everything that happened that night. One of the girls I worked with lost her husband suddenly a couple of days ago. I'm not sure if that's what set me off - no, I'm pretty sure it is. So I've been going through old blog posts about our trips together. Looking at memories of our times together. We just had fun together and we just loved each other. Anyway, I've been reliving the night he died. Thinking about it pretty consistently. And the things that happened are truly haunting me. Like, how did he get where he was?? He and I had been sitting together and had literally just had an interaction. The interaction was, please sit back, you're blocking my view of the movie. And it was all done in hand gestures. But it was just so Ted. Completely and totally so Ted. Not even a few

First Date - - End of an Era!

It's no secret that Ted and I met on the internet. We jibbered and jabbered via Match.Com a few times and then he sent me his phone number. We won't go into details about what made me give him a call, other than I was in need of a boost. I gave him a call and he was "busy" for a bit working on his carbuerator (yes, I was shunned aside for a carbuerator) and he asked if he could call me back later. Well, he did call me later that night and we made arrangements to meet at Denny's on 3500 South and 2200 West the next afternoon. No, it wasn't a four-star restaurant, but it was a way for either of us to run or make excuses if things were not going well. We sat there for a few hours; I drank Diet Coke and Ted drank Iced Tea. We talked, mostly Ted talked, about stuff I had absolutely no clue about; I tease him a lot about everything he says pretty much floats above my head, because I have no idea what he is talking about. That was October 10, 2004. After a w