Skip to main content

Things That Make You Go HMMMM - #9

Ted has been involved in Civil Air Patrol since the terrorist attacks in 2001.  It was his way of giving back.  He has worked his way up and has worked very hard there.   He was Director of Communications for the State of Utah for several years and received many accolades and awards for his hard work.  AND, I can assure you he has definitely put in a lot of work, all volunteer and unpaid, for it is something he truly believes in.

The last couple of years, there has been a decline in his motivation for being there.  Where he used to enjoy his time there - he no longer does so much.  It's not the same place as when I first met him - the participation is down, the unhappiness is up.  But, he continues to go every week - unless something else precludes him from doing so.  I truly hope it gets better soon - because I know it's something that he enjoys.
Difficult to see his name - but it's top center.

Tonight he went.  He happened to notice something out of the corner of his eye.  It was a plaque that he has probably passed by every week for several years.  It lists the people over the years that they considered the "best of the best" in the senior members - in other words, the grown up volunteers.  You see, they haven't been the best the last couple of years at having their annual banquet like they have in the past - something that Ted always enjoyed spending a whole day at.  It includes a great deal of classes, lectures (Ted usually would teach one or two classes) and closes in the evening with a more formal banquet.  Anyway, the thing that caught his eye was the winner of the "Senior Member of the Year" for 2008.  He was flabbergasted - it was his name.  He had absolutely no idea that four years ago he had won this award.  He had no clue whatsoever.  I think I am really sad that someone dropped the ball - because the one thing I know is - Ted would have really appreciated this award, Ted would have been humbled by this award, Ted would have been grateful for this award.  Someone truly took away a special moment for a truly special man.  I am sad that moment was taken away from him because they didn't take the time to appreciate him.

HMMMMMM

Comments

  1. That makes me sad too. He is a great guy and deserved to be recognized for this award not finding out this way by passing it by and spotting his name out of the corner of his eye.):

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

CoCo's Journey - Ah, Shit!!!

I am exhausted.  Physically.  Mentally.  Is there anything else??  Because I'm sure that is exhausted, too. I went to the doctor today.  I knew it was going to be a lot of information.  I had made a list.  I had my notebook.  I printed out all of the information from my emergency room visit on Saturday to take with me.  Blood tests.  CT Scan.  Urine test.  Plus, I brought my CT scan from March, because I noticed on it that I have a small umbilical hernia.  I was ready.  And I knew what I needed to fight for. I also came armed with gifts.  I love this doctor and his medical assistant so much.  I took them a gift of tortilla chips and homemade salsa.  And I wrote a love note on the bag.  That is how much I appreciate him.  They both loved it.  It even made Hayley get a little weepy, cuz she was having a bad day. I gave him all of my documents, and he went through the blood tests and such fr...

CoCo's Journey - Pre-surgery thoughts

I've been hanging out in my house for the most part.  Hiding from germs.  Hiding from phlegm.  Hiding from coughs.  Hiding from sneezes.  Hiding from snot. Trying to stay healthy until surgery day.  Not that I can hide very well.  Roommate daughter is literally coughing a lung up.  So, she can only hang out with me if she is wearing a mask.  I am bathing in hand sanitizer when I remember.  I'm taking elderberry gummies with a bunch of zinc and vitamin C in order to boost my immunities.   Poor Roommate. Not that I would know much if I did have a cold.  My nose has been running constantly since the day Jeff was pushed up my nostril.  I have a constant sore throat, due to the tube rubbing in the back of my throat.  The worst part is when I'm laying down and roll onto my left side.  It starts to move around and I feel like I'm choking.  It doesn't do it every time, but most of the time.  And I don...

CoCo's Journey - Sleeping with Jeff AND Camilla

  Well, the day has come and gone.  I got my new and fancy attachment coming out of my face.  It was a horrible experience.  I thought I was going to go absolutely insane and take out the people putting it in me.  But, let's talk about it real quick. I got an NJ tube.  I thought I was going to be getting an NG tube.  What is an NJ tube?  It's a tube for feeding that is placed through the nose and snaked down past the stomach and into the jejunal.  The jejunal is in the small intestine.  The nasojejunal tube is more complex and has a few more risks than the nasogastric tube.  But, apparently, it's the best choice for me.   So let's talk about the actual procedure.  I knew from the beginning, when they squirted lidocaine in my two nostrils to kind of deaden it that it was going to be COMPLETELY horrible!!!  And then needed me to sniff it down to kind of deaden my throat, to make the tube a little more comfortable g...